1)For What type of applications Unix o/s will be used??
2)Will .Net applications supported by Unix environment??
3)Upto what extent unix knowledge is required for a Functinal tester(Not whitebox )??
4)Is Knowledge of shell script is required for testers??
1) My experience has been with Cable/Telephony providers who use it to communicate with headends and cable boxes, satellite systems etc. But there are many other applications.
2) Not that I know of.
3) UNIX administration, no. But you should be able to list directories, grep, vi and diff. You should also know how to check for processes that are running and compare directories and files.
4) It would be VERY helpful to know c-shell or k-shell. It would not be out of the question for me to ask that of a tester. In fact, many who I have come in contact with believe testers should be able to code, myself included.
1) Yup as the others mention there might be plenty of applications to list down. But Unix is usually used as a server OS. (If that helps!)
2) Yes u can run .NET apps on Unix. All u need to do is install the .NET clr (counterpart of a JRE for .NET [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) on it. I havent tried it though and dont know the implications.
3) As much as possible - this is ofcourse a personal opinion. The more u know the better it is for you to tackle issues.
4) Same as JP puts it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Shell scripting may not be mandatory for addressing functional testing needs. But Unix knowledge is always good for testing people. If application is deployed/developed on Unix OS then definitely it becomes sort of mandatory skill.