Pls advice me what are things to be tested for a Lotus Notes based application e.g. for Functional testing. I have never tested any lotus notes based application earlier. I am responsible for writing the test cases for functional testing and then executing those test cases... The projcet is in design phase now, but very soon all design documents will get signed off from client and coding will start soon... I want suggestion from people who have tested lotus notes based application...
What are you looking for specifically ?
You pretty much test what you would in a client/server application and more.
1. There are differences to be considered like all the windows open within the parent window
2. there can be hot keys which can be configured
3. any triggers
4. any automatic metrics to be derived from the fields you enter
I am currently working on an application with lotus notes and these are the usual buggy areas
1. Refreshing Data and views.
2. Corrupted databases after long time usage.
3. Permissions and security, try to run a smoke test on your application with a user with tight security permissions and as a manager.
4. Local replica vs. Server replica, which also lead to offline testing.
5. If your application requires installation (if it is more than just a nsf file) then try to customize your notes installation. There is a lot of crazy configuration that you could with Notes.ini.
6. Be careful with version (R5, R6, and R6.5) testing. I hope you don't have to test R4. Every version fix different bug and generate new ones, which will definitely affect any application that uses the Notes API.
Thanks a ton Marry/All
Actually we are developing a CRM application using Lotus Notes 6 and I m responsible to test it.
The environment is like below
Lotus Notes 6, Domino Designer 6.5,Windows 2000, LEI, Adobe Distiller, Notes R6 Client, Notes Java agent.I never tested a Lotus Notes based application before, so i need deep insight before going for testing.Pls also explain in details the points...
4. Local replica vs. Server replica, which also lead to offline testing.What is a offline testing??
4.Any automatic metrics to be derived from the fields you enter. What does this mean ???
2.There can be hot keys which can be configured. What does this mean ???
3.Any triggers. What does this mean ????
Pls also explain what should be the testing approach. Also how will I go for Lotus Notes database testing...
Security testing for LN applications is very important. LN has a nice security model with Access Control levels and roles and Reader and Author fields in documents. I suggest you to use several test user id files so you could quickly switch between them through switching Location documents (each user has own set of ACL and roles). You must understand the LN security model in depth. It is descibed in Lotus Notes Designer's Help file.