Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Mobile Application testing

Dear Test engineers,
    I have been involved in testing 3g handset applications.
    If anyone of you have been involved in testing such applications,then I would be keen in knowing the way of testing such software.What is the general testing procedure followed for testing mobile-handset applications.

Please take part in the dicussion & share your valuable knowledge

Thx & Rgds
    Rahul
    If you have a better idea & I have one and we exchange we have TWO better ideas each.--RC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Mobile Application testing

For device testing as part of a manufacturing process, try this company:

http://www.testquest.com/

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rahul,

What is your reference situation for testing. There are vastly different test philosophies and methods in use depending on wether you are a handset manufacturer, carrier/operator, an enterprise company developing an enterprise application or someone who is developing an application for download.

Are you looking for test methods or tools?

Mitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi MKrause,
    My company is a handset manufacturer. We also develop software for our handsets. I am working in software division, where i have to do a lot of testing on the handset developed software
    Here the testing will consist of
    1.Testing the UI(its as good as testing desktop application,we use Emulator[prototype])
    2.Testing the Functionality(for eg. Call processing, phone book, SMS etc)
    I was intereseted in knowing the test methods practised for manual-testing these handset applications.
    What could the test strategy ? How will the approach to testing the handset application differ from that of testing other desktop application?
    Expecting your valuable inputs.
    Thx

Rgds
    Rahul
    If you have a better idea & I have one and we exchange we have TWO better ideas each.--RC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rahul,

Still not certain I understand the gist of your questions. The test strategy for software applications on mobile devices are much the same as test strategies for desktop applications, the same fundamental engineering principles of specification validation apply, particularily if you limit yourself to manual testing. The methods that you use to implement those strategies are different, as handsets and the wireless network environment are considerably differnet than the traditional PC world. One primarly area of difference is in the area of interactions, as a primary test focus is to validate that particular applications do not pertubate the fundamental capabilities of the device.

Hope this helps.

Mitch