How to prepare the effective test plan?Since most of the plan gets deviated with the actuals. Like estimating the efforts, Schedule and cost. Any sample for prparing the good effective test plan and what are the approach. I would appreciate if anybody comes with a value added details.
Re: Test Plan
Heres something for ur information
Regardless of the type of test plan being constructed, each plan should contain at a minimum, the following information:
· An identification of the overall test process and all its related processes including defect tracking, defect workflow, change management, configuration management, release management, etc.
· A general test strategy, approach and purpose of the test to guide the test team
· A list and description of the items to be tested
· A list of the items which will not be included in the test and why
· A definition of the test environment
· Testing dependencies (build requirements, hardware / simulator needs, etc)
· Entrance and Exit criteria (meaning when items are deemed ready for testing and when items are deemed complete)
· A list of Item Pass / Fail Criteria
· A list of deliverables from the Test Team to be produced during testing and upon completion of testing
· A list of roles and responsibilities for everyone involved with the test or the project in general as it relates to the test
· A schedule with specific dates for testing as it relates to the project plan
· A place for signoffs for everyone on the team
Re: Test Plan
I always wonder, can there be generic effective plan (for any activity). I don't think we should be so naive to believe that there could exist a effective test plan which is panecea for all problems in testing or for that matter any activity or project.
So using some good templates start preparing the plan taking into consideration ground realities, use past data for estimations, use past risks to identify risks that you are likely to come aross, think out a proper mitigation plan, think of improving the existing process and so on .......
Basically if you want to be a good planner be a good thinker first. There will be variations between the actual and the plan, i.e. because the environment is dynamic, so nothing to worry you are there to bring the situation under control. But if you have done deep think while making the plan, you will see that there are minimum number of deviations.
As some company puts it Applying taught...