Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What\'s the different between test plan and test strategy?

What's the different between test plan and test strategy? Can anyone describe or give an example of a test plan? How do you write a test plan? How do you write a test case?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What\'s the different between test plan and test strategy?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sai7:
    What's the different between test plan and test strategy?
    There are more differences:
    - the test plan is usually larger than test strategy;
    - the test plan (could) contain the test strategy;
    Can anyone describe or give an example of a test plan?
    Yes, I can.
    How do you write a test plan? How do you write a test case?

I don't write (any more) test plans or test cases.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IF MY ANSWERS DOESN'T HELP YOU ( I'm sure they don't) TRY A SEARCH ON FORUMS. These are very common topics here.

------------------
    If you need a reason to be happy - FIND IT, don't wait it !
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I actually don't agree with that distinction.

A Test Plan is a step by step description of what testing will occur when.

A Test Strategy is a guide with goals and approaches.

I generally write Test Plans for functional testing and Test Strategies for Performance Testing, since no matter how much you plan performace testing, once you execute the first test, the plan almost always changes.

------------------
    Scott Barber
    NOBLE(STAR
    Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.noblestar.com
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Points for Confirmed Friends

===========================================
    I generally write Test Plans for functional testing and Test Strategies for Performance Testing, since no matter how much you plan performace testing, once you execute the first test, the plan almost always changes.

===========================================
    I diagree with this. You can have test strategy and test plans for the testing you are doing.
    Test Strategy consists of the special strategy we are making to test the application.
    Test plan will consists of the scedules, types of testing, resource allocation, deliverables, risk handling etc.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test Strategy...

1.Intent is to out figure what we want to do
    2.Understand the critical factors
    3.Clear understanding of non-functional requirements to be validated
    4.To find out patterns of test in functional requirements

Test Planning....
    1.Do we know the scope testing
    2.Features to be tested and features not to be tested
    3.Who does what
    4.Effort/Time estimation
    5.Scheduling the tasks
    6.Hardware/Software/test data requirements
    7.Test Metrics

cheers

Somasundaram.S
    QATeam
    Hyderabad

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

While "test plan" is a largely standard term in people's conception, we all have to realize people have different conceptions of what a "test strategy" means. You can generally have a strategic strategy (an overall statement) or you can have a tactical strategy for a given situation. Test plans will often include the tactical elements of strategy because the strategy there indicates how things will be tested. Test plans tend to tell you who will do the testing, when will they do it, what they will be testing, and where they will be testing it. The strategy element focuses more on how testing will actually be done once the above questions are answered. A statement of strategic strategy is often a coordinating element used to link the activities and the people who do those activities in a practical fashion. A tactical statement of strategy just serves to get into details.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re-reading this thread, I had some thoughts. Let me know if you all agree.

If both a test plan and a test strategy are to be written, I think we are all agreeing that the strategy is more of the "what and why" and the plan is more of the "how".

My experience (good bad or otherwise) says that both a test strategy and a test plan are very important for functional testing.

HOWEVER, everytime I have been required to write a test PLAN for performance testing it has turned out to be a disaster. I was expected to hold to a plan, even after it didn't make sense anymore. So I write just a "Strategy" and include the necessary "planning" elements.

**war story begins here**
    In my Performance Test Plan (the last one I ever agreed to write), it said that "the application there would be a test executed to validate that 500 users could log into the system within a 1 hour time span". As the project drew to a close, testing had shown that the application could not hold more than 25. I explained this to the client - many times in many ways. The client finally said "by signing that test plan, you agreed to conduct this test, if you don't, we will not pay you."

So I launched the test as described in the test plan. As a result the client's entire external network went down costing them an estimated $1.2 million in repares and lost revenue. Luckilly for me, I had well documented that I advised against the test.

From then on I switched the title of my document to strategy and started using language like "will conduct tests at increasing load to determine when performance becomes unacceptable. At that point testing will change focus to detecting the bottleneck, and re-testing to validate tuning. No additional load will be applied once un-acceptable performance is reached."

That way it clearly tells the client what the strategy is, without committing to specific tests that may not be benificial.

------------------
    Scott Barber
    NOBLE(STAR
    Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.perftestplus.com
    Scott Barber
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RSBarber:
    If both a test plan and a test strategy are to be written, I think we are all agreeing that the strategy is more of the "what and why" and the plan is more of the "how".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me it is the opposite. The strategy is the "how". It is how we will carry out the dictates of the plan. The plan describes the who, what, why, and when. A strategy determines how you will utilize the resources you have gathered for a particular task. The job of the plan is to state what resources you need and what they will be needed for and what they will be doing. Granted, a test plan often contains the elmenents of a localized strategy, so unless you have a reason to make an operational linguistic distinction, it might not be worth the battle at your particular organization. Of course there is a difference between strategizing and planning but that distinction can be very subtle in your day-to-day activities.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

ok fascinating semantical distinctions going on. Our descriptions of activities are pretty much the same, but we don't seem to agree on "what" and "how". I guess that's why I wasn't an english major!

You weren't by chance, ever in the US Army, were you? Strategy = Commander's intent. Plan = Execution. "When the execution falls apart, refer back to the commander's intent to ensure the mission gets accomplished, regardless of the methods used to do it."

------------------
    Scott Barber
    NOBLE(STAR
    Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.perftestplus.com
    Scott Barber
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RSBarber:
    Our descriptions of activities are pretty much the same, but we don't seem to agree on "what" and "how".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we probably agree on the "what" and "how" that should be done, perhaps just not on the terms used to describe where those fit. However, again, unless there is an operational reason for me to make this kind of distinction in an organization, I am really not that much of a stickler for it. As long as people I am working with understand what they should do and how they should do it, I am less concerned whether they think of this as being part of a "strategy" or part of a "plan" or whether they blur the terms. As long as the "how" is attached to the "who", "what", "why", "when", and "where", then I can rest somewhat easier.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>You weren't by chance, ever in the US Army, were you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do model a lot of my thinking on military concepts although I suppose I am not as straight-laced as the military would like one to be in adhering to terms. Again, for me the focus is on the goal of what has to be done and how we have to do it. If we want to think of that as a strategy, fine. If we want to think of that as a plan, fine. If we feel some need to break them apart, fine. The key is that everyone has to know their role and responsibility so that we drive towards the same goal.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast