Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Orthogonal array technique - redundant test cases?

We are experimenting with using orthogonal array technique for our test case design. We have picked the 16,5,4,2 OA based on the number of parameters we have for a test set. But when the final table got generated, I noticed few redundant test cases. that is tests that are already covered by other tests in the array table. Does redundancy cases happen while using OA?. Heres a dummy model of the first few rows of the test set in the table

A B C D E
    test 1 0 0 1 100 1000
    test 2 0 5 2 10000 5000
    test 3 0 25 4 100000 10000
    test 4 0 50 6 1000000 100000

Here, I see that test 4 covers test 1,2,3. The rest of the 12 tests listed in the array are unique tests which has no redundancy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Orthogonal array technique - redundant test cases?

Perhaps I don't understand you, but what in "test 4" is redundant?

How are you constructing your array?

If you are doing it manually, then simply omit any redundant tests.

If you are using a tool, then I believe some of them do indeed produce non-minimal lists of tests.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It would seem that your array has lost something in the translation to our crude text display here on the forum. In fact, to me, it makes no sense at all. Would it be possible to get you array onto a website then post it here as an "img" file?

As Joe has stated, redundancies are not precluded.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The OAs were selected from a set of predefined OAs from the OA library in this site
    http://www.research.att.com/~njas/oadir/

Here's a dummy model of 9.4.3.2 OA we have constructed.
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...rcup1978/9.jpg
    The test 7 highlighted in dark blue is the test that covers the tests 1 and 4(highlighted in light blue)

Here's a dummy model of 16.5.4.2 OA we have constructed.
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...cup1978/16.jpg
    The test 4(highlighted in dark blue) is the test that covers test 1,2,3(highlighted in light blue).

We had not designed cases for the redundant tests(in light blue). I did not expect that I would get redundancy with OA. This is a smaller array, so it was easy to pick out the redundant tests. But if redundancies occur with much bigger arrays like 127.4.11.2 then they could easily be missed. I'm also guessing that few redundancies can occur if the values are all numerical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Joe Strazzere:
    Perhaps I don't understand you, but what in "test 4" is redundant?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">The values in test 1,2,3,4 are increasing linearly. So test 4 combination of values cover the test 1,2,3 combination of values. I dont know how clear I'm sounding here too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Lynne, I had gone through these threads and none of these threads had discussed this particular issue. I could not reply to any of these topics also as all were closed. So I started another thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry there was not information you needed in these links and even if these old threads were open it is better based on their age that you did what you did and opened your own thread.

Personally I am not a big fan of orthogonal array techniques and I tend to be careful when and where I use them. I find that when testing a complex product the orthogonal arrays are to complex and time consuming. I do use them in places to ensure that I have included all the test I should do for a certain functionality or sometimes to detail out everything for a customer and show what there is and what we have done.

I have found the tendency in orthogonal arrays is to not test enough so if I do not see some redundancy I tend to suspect that we may be missing something.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm not quite following why you see these tests as redundant -- In your 16 run array, the 4th run has for example the unique pair of (A=0, B=50), which doesn't appear anywhere else. Perhaps knowing what these parameters mean would help me understand why you don't think the unique pair of (A=0, B=50) needs to be tested.

I've used OATS a number of times, and always found if something doesn't feel right it's not a fault of the OA or OATS, but it's either the inappropriate application (the parameters have no possible effect on each other, so pair-wise testing of them is overkill), or a poor choice of possible values of each parameter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Malica, The test 4 in the 16 run array is the test that covers test 1,2,3. But test 1,2,3 does not cover test 4. This is because the values of test 4 is higher than that of test 1,2,3. So test 4 has been picked up for design and test 1,2,3 has been dropped.

[ 07-12-2006, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Jadeeda ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast