Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Developer to tester ratio

Hi - I'm trying to get some info on dev/tester ratios that we can use at a management meeting to help us try & get more testers - can anyone give me ratios for where they work. My company has about 120 employees, we have 32 developers and 1 tester (thats me) Our code is about .5 million lines
    in addition to myself tech support has been "helping" out when they can.
    thanks for any help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Developer to tester ratio

Hi,

1 tester for 32 developers is not enough. The best ratio should be at least 1 tester for every 3 developers.

Yaron www.elementool.com - The leading web-based bug tracking tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm in a similar position not as bad 1T:15D
    You say 1T:3D can this be stretched?

Where do you get such ratios?

Regards,

Sesame

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I run a QA team where the tester: developer ratio is currently 1:7. I'm looking to reduce this to 1:4.

Have a read of Rex Black's book, Managing The Testing Process, for further info/examples of ratios.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

May I suggest that you perform a search on the boards. There have been numerous conversations on this topic previously and may have additional information for you. In fact, we had one a few weeks back.

We have a ratio of 1:6 which works out good for our team. However, we also get 4 beta testers for the last 1-2 months of each Component/Module that we produce from the customer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My company has 5 testers and 4 developers. Works out pretty good. We are usually ahead of the developers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think that the developer to tester ratio depends on the project....however the ratio of 1T:5D should be good....
    Krishna...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i would like to add that the ratio should increase in favour of the testers during the course of the project. initially, not much code means not many testers. as the code base increases and the project hurtles toward implementation, you should be adding test resources while reducing dev resources...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In my experience/opinion, the ideal ratio is 2 dev's to 1 tester. In reality, that rarely happens. To that end, a 20% ratio of testers to dev's should be sufficient (ie. 1 to 5)

------------------
    Brian Weston, CSTE
    Brian Weston, CSTE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Princess Atta:
    Hi - I'm trying to get some info on dev/tester ratios that we can use at a management meeting to help us try & get more testers - can anyone give me ratios for where they work. My company has about 120 employees, we have 32 developers and 1 tester (thats me) Our code is about .5 million lines
    in addition to myself tech support has been "helping" out when they can.
    thanks for any help
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Subject: 18. What is the best tester to developer ratio?

Reported tester:developer ratios range from 10:1 to 1:10.

Jeremy L. Mordkoff writes:
    There's no simple answer. It depends on so many things, I can't even list them all. Amount of reused code, number and type of interfaces, platform, quality goals, etc.
    It also can depend on the development model. The more specs, the less testers. The roles can play a big part also. Does QA own beta? Do you include process auditors or planning activities?
    Boris Beizer adds:
    These figures can all vary very widely depending on how you define "tester" and "developer". In some organizations, a "tester" is anyone who happens to be testing software at the time -- such as their own. In other organizations, a "tester" is only a member of an independent test group.

It is far, far, better to ask about the test labor content than it is to ask about the tester/developer ratio. The test labor content, across most applications is generally accepted as 50%, when people do honest accounting. For life-critical software, this can go up to 80%.

reference: http://www.crim.ca/ctl/cst.FAQ.html
    in the above link go to subject no 18

------------------
    kalyan
    kalyan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast