Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Lightbulb How can I test remote control for television ?

Hi guys, I'm quality engineer in a television company. I want to test remote controls.Does anyone have advice??

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    As an engineer, I'd probably start looking at the inputs and outputs it has and what are the risks you want to guard against. Then start stripping away the layers.

Using my TV remote control as an example,

If I remove the plastic shell, I basically have buttons attached to some sort of logic board. The logic board probably has some chips like EPOM on it with the logic, some buttons, a power supply, and an IR diode. With that you can think of places you can hook in. For example, you can ask the questions: Can I test at the unit level (run unit tests against the logic the eprom)? Can I test at an integration level? (hook up the pins coming out of the logic board into an Arduino that can read the on/off state of the pins and detect the signals sent to the different parts? Is it possible to test it at an end to end level? (set up the TV hooked up to an input source displaying color bars, have a robot actuator push the remote's buttons and have a camera take screenshots and compare them)

Then you look at what risks you want to guard against. Is it the reliability of the buttons we have worries about? Is the TV and the remote developed by separate teams/companies and we're scared they might not be compatible? Are there environmental conditions we are uncertain about?

All Testing is basically risk management. It's a risk due to something we don't know, thus we test. Treating a test like a scientific experiment, you ask yourself.. What don't I know that's bothering the organization? What is my hypothesis... (usually you can find good clues for this in the requirements, in Agile, you'll find these in stories if they're written well). Devise an experiment.. what are the steps I need to perform X, and what do I observe? (this would be a test case)
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    dlai thank you for your advices

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by orcunbd View Post
    Hi guys, I'm quality engineer in a television company. I want to test remote controls.Does anyone have advice??
    Interview question?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    what is the matter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    what is the matter?
    ??? I don't understand this reply.

I was asking if the original question was for interviewing or not.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    what is the difference that it is or not ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    what is the difference that it is or not ???
    The process to test a remote would not be that much different to how you test software. The types of tests carried out depend on what stage/level of development the product is at? If you are carrying out a bench marking test of a 'finished' product against competitors remote controls or remote controls already developed by the company you work for. Then 'Use Cases' could be suitable. How do consumers use remote controls when their dog or child is not chewing on it? Maybe give it to some dogs see what they think of it. If this is an interview type question and it certainly sounds like one, then the key word is 'Quality' and who and how is it being defined. There is not right answer so to speak. Its all down to the specified requirements dog...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    You may have a remote control simulator. This may be accessible with test tools.
    Each remote control key should have a key number.
    You set up the logging on the Tv.
    Press the keys on the remote control or simulator and you see the key codes on the log.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I saw one project in this year's GTAC 2014 conference where a guy used selenium and a raspberry pi equipped with an IR receiver and transmitter to automate testing of a set top box with a remote.

Here it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIA-m9HLHDs

And he was asking if it was an interview question because we have a specific sub-forum for those.
    Last edited by NoUse4aName; 11-19-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast