Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Testing in Agile

Hi,

I work as QA and we are changing our development methodology from waterfall to Agile.

I heard that in Agile world, development and testing could go simultaniously.
    Can anyone tell me how this could be achieved?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Testing in Agile

Some good reading on Agile Testing here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_testing
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

-Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

On a related note, I couldn't agree more with this blog on "Thoughts on Agile & Agile Testing"
    by Scott Barber http://www.testingreflections.com/node/view/8664

Elfriede

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

@Robert Martin, thanks for suggesting this book. This is quite useful.
    I have now briefly understood whole Agile process.

Any idea how the founctional test conditions should be based on? In waterfall model we refer to functional spec to know how a functionality/feature should work. Any idea how this works in Agile world? How we should create/manage our test scripst in QA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In theory, a SCRUM/Sprint process of iterative planning, outlining tasks, etc., replaces the need for up front functional specs.

A person comes up with a user story: "As an e-commerce shopper on our web site, I can pay for my purchases using a major credit card."

That user story has certain criteria that must be met in order for it to be complete. These are tested out as acceptance tests. In the sprint planning, you outline those acceptance tests, those brief, high-level validation tasks that will prove whether or not the user story has been achieved.

1) There is a credit card payment button available on the web site
    2) Credit card authorization is processed upon selecting the submit button
    3) Visa, Mastercard, and Discover are accepted by the web site
    4) Authorization failures result in the purchase not being completed.

These are just some examples and, actually, item 4 might be more complicated and, therefore, relegated to a backlog and a new user story. I would even hazard item 3 might be such a thing. Would the user story be complete if only Visa cards worked? Probably. Maybe that means we go back and redefine the user story.

The next step is the developers then list out the specific tasks that they need to do in order to fulfill the user story as well as in order to pass the acceptance tests. Creating the button, creating an engine for authorizing credit card transactions, establishing an SSL certificate and connection for the site, developing within Sarbains-Oxley security standards (PCI, PA-DSS standards as well), etc.

The acceptance tests may be the specific test cases that the testers will execute, but then they would detail out tasks. They need to validate the GUI, they need to test the security protocols, they need to test transaction completion upon a successul authorization. They need to test the integration of this payment method with the larger solution. There are performance factors, etc.

All this is one way of establishing the testing environment in Agile, and it is all done in a team in which it might not be the tester who does the testing tasks. And, keep in mind, it can be rather fluid. As the developers work through things, they may find out something that will need to be addressed in a test case. The tester may the need to write a new testing task. This might add to the time line. Someone may need to determine, then, whether the user story needs to be refined and certain things moved to another user story and backlogged, etc.

Does this help?
    -Robert Martin
    TestComplete "expert"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Robert! So QA would concentrate more on testing individual functionality/features that is developed within each story. So, there may be many features/functionalities delivered in each story. One thing is why do QA check against the acceptance criteria? Isn't that Users should do as part of their UAT?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

A good user story would most likely have a limited set of functionality and features... IMO, a user story should describe ONE distinct feature/functionality.... if, during discussion about the user story other criteria is discovered, I think it should be a new user story... but YMMV...

As to why QA check against the acceptance criteria... Why wouldn't you? Ultimately the goal of Agile is to give to the end user working product in small, manageable, chunks where, when I give it to them, it works... If I'm not using the same criteria that they are to determine whether or not it works, why bother testing at all? It's almost, but not quite, TDD in that we are coding to those acceptance tests.. and even testing to those acceptance tests... if the acceptance test fails, then it's not worth giving it to the customer.

Yes, the users would do the same tests in the UAT, but I'd prefer that the users are not another testing group but more on the lines of simple validation that we delivered to them something that would meet their needs... so, we need to determine that by running the same tests ahead of time.
    -Robert Martin
    TestComplete "expert"

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

An excellent video delivered by Elisabeth Hendrickson. Worth a watch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqrOnIECCSg

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Well what helped me the most is What is SCRUM? - CodeProject it actually walked me through each aspect of it and finally helped me with learning a lot regarding it,At the same time The Scrum Framework - YouTube will let you know the basics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast