How to test save and recall
Our application saves and recalls project files in XML format. How can we test if our save and recall is working?
Re: How to test save and recall
* Manual inspection (if your app has a database you can compare what is in the save file to what you expect to be there by eyeball). Obviously this becomes hard once you have lots of data in your application.
* Save > Recall > Save again. Do a file compare on the first and second save files. They should in theory be identical (except maybe for time stamps etc.)
* Save > Make some changes in the application > Save again. Do a file comparison, the only significant differences should be your changes.
* Save > Modify the XML file > Recall. Check that all your changes showed up in the application.
* Think of ways you can break it: Put border values in fields of the application and try to save; Put invalid values in fields of the XML and try to recall; Save to a full disk; Break the XML and try to recall;
Just some ideas, not anything near a full test plan. Only you know what your app looks like!