Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How? Create Lots of test cases quickly in sprints?

Subject: Is there a technique or methodology to create a high volume of manual test cases very quickly?

Here is my challenge. We are heavily under resourced. Our role is to build the test cases in word and submit to the testers. We are given vague and frustrating requirements, created from gung Ho meeting, that take place between business users and development. Of which we are not a part of. They create stories using the agile methodology. They then wait till the last minute to give us the requirements we need and expect it done like yesterday. The pressure comes from them and hits us hard because we start getting blamed for holding up the sprint. On the average each person is having to create 50 -100 test cases, some test cases are as large as 50 pages.

So as you can see this is part venting and part question:
    So my question is: Is there way to create repeatable test cases so that our work is not redundant? If so what steps do I take to accomplish this. Should I research a type of methodology? Does Agile have an answer creating large test cases or many test cases. Maybe itís as easy as figuring out a way to translate the requirements into steps, such as Quality Center allows you to do.

P.S. we do have quality center, but I would need to manually enter the requirements into quality center.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How? Create Lots of test cases quickly in sprints?

Testers are each creating 50 to 100 test cases, some of which are 50 pages long - at the last minute? Something is wrong here. Something which creating test cases quickly won't solve.

That said, convince the business users and developers to write their stories in a format that is trivial to convert into a test case. Perhaps you can take a generic test case framework, and simply paste in the story?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you Joe, I know we have a bigger problem. But us little guys don't make the rules or decisions.

Your help is appreciated. I'll start to research that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    They create stories using the agile methodology. They then wait till the last minute to give us the requirements we need and expect it done like yesterday. The pressure comes from them and hits us hard because we start getting blamed for holding up the sprint.

[/ QUOTE ]

The user stories are your requirements and you should have sight of them at the same time as the developers do, to allow them to write the required application. If you did get the user stories at the same time as the developers got them then you would be able to start the test process, or at least starting to document the test process (test conditions, test scripts etc) at the the same time as the developers start coding.

The question has to be why do you get the requirements (user stories) at the last minute?
    Rob Broadhurst
    Passed the Microsoft Virtual Academy course on SQL Azure now doing the Windows Azure course.
    www.robertbroadhurst.com

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Do a google on "exploratory testing" - James Bach,Kem Kaner et al. Achieve effectiveness by running undocumented tests.

You do not need to document everything,every test case, infact agile prefers just enough documentation.

Infact you can get some automated tools for exploratory testing on James Bach's site.

www.satisfice.com [James Bach]
    www.kaner.com [Kem Kaner]

Finally think how to achieve:- Do not Document, Automate...~Anand Tambey

Do read my above post, feedback are welcomed
    Kind regards,
    Anand Tambey

RSS Feed : Break To Make it Better
    A Lazy person could be the best automation professional, if he is not lazy in implementing his ideas to reduce his work. ~Anand Tambey

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

Testers are each creating 50 to 100 test cases, some of which are 50 pages long - at the last minute? Something is wrong here. Something which creating test cases quickly won't solve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed,good point by Joe.

Creating 50 pages than reviewing 50 pages(??, I doubt it happens),executing and reporting...

There needs to be some root-cause analysis of overall process to resolve it.
    Kind regards,
    Anand Tambey

RSS Feed : Break To Make it Better
    A Lazy person could be the best automation professional, if he is not lazy in implementing his ideas to reduce his work. ~Anand Tambey