Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Illustration Letter Testing

Hello all,

I'm sorry if this subject has been brought up before; I did a couple of searches but couldn't find anything. Also, I apologise profusely if I have posted in the wrong section but this seemed the least inappropriate.

I'm a test analyst for a blue chip financial services company and my current project demands that I test letter output as well as functional changes. I was involved with a similar project two years ago but the letters then had around 10 conditions each so it was fairly simple to prep and test.

There are two letter types in this project but there are hundreds of conditions and ‘If’ statements based on variables within the plan the illustrations are being produced for. The testing for the previous release of this project (which I was not involved with) took an approach where they created a spreadsheet with expected results (based on document template) for every test case and checked each test case’s produced letter against the spreadsheet to check the correct paragraphs and data had been produced. With this approach, it took 4 hours (over half a day) to test each test case. Considering we will have around 100+ test cases (because there are so many plan variables) I don’t think this is feasible and I would like to try a more efficient approach.

The other guy on the project and I have some ideas but I thought it may be a good idea to post here and see if anyone has faced a similar challenge before and if so, how did you approach it or how do you think you would approach it? Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated! Let me know if you have any questions because I'm positive I'm likely to have omitted vital information [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Best Regards,
    Matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Illustration Letter Testing

Hi,

The things I would think about are:
    - is this possible to automate?
    - can I use pair testing to select a resonable coverage?
    - can I use branch/statement/decision coverage to select what tests I should take (so check that every statement is tested at least once, not every path through every statement)

To input into the above I would want to know which letters are the most used/important/can't be wrong and factor that in.

Those are my initial thoughts anyway
    Richard Hunter

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Illustration Letter Testing

You may want to look into Pair Wise test generation methods. A google search for "Pair Wise test tool" will probably give some good results. The other is to look at a commercial tool called 'Hexawise'.

You will want to generate the least amount of test cases/conditions that will give you good coverage of the functionality and parameters in the mix. The above information should help in this regard.
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/