Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Who build program for test? Programmer or tester?

I'm a tester.

Project manager asked me that I want to build the program by myself or want to programmer build the program for me.

I have experienced both ways.

Please suggest me that who should in charge of build program for testing.

I'll be appreciated if you give me advantage and disadvantage for both options.

1.) Tester build program for test by him/herself:-
    Advantage:
    Disadvantage:

2.) Programmer build program for tester.
    Advantage:
    Disadvantage:

3.) who should be in charge of build the program for test?

Thank you very much in advanced.
    Rabbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Who build program for test? Programmer or tester?

1.) Tester build program for test by him/herself:-
    Advantage:
    Disadvantage:

>> Reasearch google on should developers test their own applications

I am sure that after reading this about this, you might be able to answer the second query on your own.

Out of curosity? What is this program you are referring to?
    - A program which assists the tester to test an application
    - A program which the tester would test and later provided to client!
    - A program which would be used by the testing team? (not to test an application but for other testing related activities? Example - Defect Management system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, its not clear what kind of program for test you are talking about. Unit Tests? A Test Framework or Harness? Test Scripts? Test Tools (open source or commercial)? There are all kinds of ways and methods by which to test.

Some of the advantages and disadvantages you ask for are in the same region as the question "who should test the code, the developer or someone else?".

Personally, I'd like to see what your ideas are, what have you come up with for this and what advantages and disadvantages do you see?
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Gaurav_Pandey & michaeljf,
    Thank you for your replies.

I'm in charge of testing a website in system test phase (functional testing and manual testing).
    It is developed by using java language.

Ans: Gaurav_Pandey,
    Out of curosity? What is this program you are referring to?
    - A program which the tester would test and later provided to client!

Ans: michaeljf
    In my opinion,
    Build program by test team

Advantage:
    It's more convenience.

For example,
    If during testing, tester would like re-build and re-deploy with difference source code to compare testing result in some particular cases. It's convenience if they can re-build by themselve rather than ask development team to build for them several time.

Disadvantage:
    Tester need to have knowledge how to compile & build program. The training to build program is required.

Build program by test team
    Advantage:
    Developer can build it easily because they are familiar with this activity. No need to provide training for tester.

Disadvantage:
    If testers want to test in difference versions to compare the test result. It's inconvenience. because they (testers) cannot do by themselve.

I have a little experience. I'll be appreciated if you all have share your idea and experience to me.

Thank you in advanced.
    Rabbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In my opinion the developer should code the website.
    Deploying and configuring the build may or may not be with the test team

If you have an independent test team, then I would recommend that deploying and configuring the build might be a good idea for the test team.

However some deployments may be tricky and the effort required to train and mentor a tester might not be within the scope of the RACI.

Never the less, the test plan should mention on who would be responsible for deploying and configuring. Appropriate risks should be mentioned with the SLA and the possible impact on how soon the build would be deployed.

In one of the projects I have worked on (where the deployment is tricky) and "QA migrations" have to be performed several times a day, we have deployed multiple environments
    Dev Environment
    QA Environment (QA and UAT is performed on this build)
    QC Environment (Also known as Training Environment or a build on which QA team validates production defects)

We can use multiple physical machines or use Virtualation technologies like VMWare and Microsoft Team System.

I have used VMWare and its easy to clone, keep snapshots and backup envionments for historical reasons

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm not sure I'm understanding completely. However, the one red flag that keep spopping up for me is the part where you say it will be given to the client. If something is getting delivered to the client then we are now not talking about a testing tool, we're talking about a product, regardless of what it does.

Are there develoment standards, best practices, etc., at the organization you're with? Would you be required to know and adhere to these standards? If not, then you're basically being asked to code something off the books. I'm never on board for that because 10 months down the road when an angry customer calls support telling them how the test app they supplied isn't working, nobody has any idea what they're talking about.

So as far as testers coding goes, I say we can be responsible for automation, test harnesses, unti testing (maybe, but only maybe, sometimes), or anything related to QA or tools which will help QA do their job better. Delivering something to the customer though? No, I don't like that.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't see why you would give a test program to a client, most of mine run in my environment which may have additional libraries or applications the client does not. When you start giving away programs like that I think you enter into a gray area of providing a product, in which case just simple scripting or programs for use internally is not often enough. For more on that look at the history of Microsoft's IFSTest Suite, an internal tool that was made available publicly, originally with little support or documentation.

Still if you are making a test tool it may not need to be compiled, if it does and you do not have the skills then either you need to learn them or work with a Developer of ToolSmith who will help you. I am not the most proficient compiler but I can do what I need, otherwise I write scripts that do what I require and are easier for me to maintain as its an area I have more experience in. If you are to make a compiled program, and don't have the skillset, either you need to teach yourself or get someone to do the task for you. QA should be responsible for the automation because its a tool QA will use, I maintain a lot of the automation my group uses because we like to know what its doing and handle it on our schedule and not worrying about Developer availability.
    - M

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Additional thought -

My QA team prepares the QTP Scripts to perform regression testing. We also maintain these scripts.

These QTP scripts are "provided" to the UAT testers/Customers

Please read "provided" as shared. After that, the UAT team/customer may decide to use them, dismiss them, enhance them or whatever with them.

Question - Should these QTP scripts be provided in the first place!

I would ask - Why Not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If the Customer has QTP and wants to run those scripts, then why not if its part of their contract.

Though I have never worked in a place where that has ever been the case, Customers may want to know what we test or how but I have rarely been asked to provide a one of my scripts.
    - M

- Unknown