Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Inquiry on Test-to-Pass test case type

Hi to all,

Since I don't have any experience creating test cases, I read a book Software Testing (2nd ed) by Ron Patton. It's really an interesting book. I have a question though regarding equivalence partitioning. I'm currently creating some test cases for our companies CMS product. Basically the test cases are all about the steps on how this module would work. I haven't tested properly if the text boxes would create an error when inputting an incorrect data type. I'm trying to achieve test-to-pass test cases. Am I doing the correct test case type? Or inputing correct data constitutes in performing the test-to-fail test case type. Please advice. Thank you very much in advance.

Cheerios,

Blog: http://sqavoyager.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Inquiry on Test-to-Pass test case type

From the book:

"When you test-to-pass, you really assure only that the software minimally works. You don't push its capabilities. You don't see what you can do to break it. You treat it with kid gloves, applying the simplest and most straightforward test cases."

Some call these "Sunny Day" or "Happy Path" tests.

I would say that putting incorrect data types into fields in order to see if the appropriate error messages appear is NOT part of the test-to-pass cases.

These tests are still essential, they still must be executed, just not part of this category of tests.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi, in equivalence partitioning it is important to be tested the both - correct and incorrect inputs. That's why as Joe Strazzere said:
    " These tests are still essential, they still must be executed, just not part of this category of tests. "
    with other words the equivalence partitioning must include the both categogies - test-to-pass/fail test cases if you want to achieve some coverage with the testing. It's up to you and the testing coverage, but the presence of two categories doesn't mean that you should do only one type.
    If I understand your questions you're also confused with the categorization of the test cases - if you prefer think about the "test-to-pass" as positive test cases and the "test-to-fail" as negative. I hope this is helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This is interesting. I've been laboring under a misconception for some time. I was under the impression that test to pass didn't rely on whether you were on the golden path or not - it just depended on whether you were tossing acceptable & documented variables at the object or whether you're trying to "look outside of the box". Wouldn't an error window appearing when the documentation says it's supposed to appear be a test to pass?

For instance, two requirements may be:
    1. when you put in a quarter and pull the lever, a meatball comes out.
    2. when you put in a dime and pull the lever, a boxing glove pops out with a "wrong change bub" written on it and hits you in the nose.

Getting the error in the second scenario would be a test to pass the way I understood it. Putting in a nickel and having a pie fly out, or putting in a quarter on a string and yanking it out would be test to fail scenarios, since those are scenarios that wander outside of specifications.

If those aren't test to fail vs. test to pass how should I have been referring to them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello to Joe, SC, and Grindel,

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. I now know what to write on my test cases. This is a very helpful forum.

Cheerios,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It depends Grindel, if those are the requirements that you are testing against you could call it test to pass, since what you are testing is what you were told would happen. The things that go off the happy path are things that are unaccounted for, what if someone uses a subway token how does the machine recognize that? If I move a magnet up and down the front of the machine to manipulate the mechanical parts, what's the machines response? Tipping the machine has what effect? Your quarter on a string is also another case that is off the path, so you're still referring to things the right way as far as I can see.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The following is what I do!

First I test to verify that the application works. Then I verify that the application breaks

Postive testing - Application works
    Negative testing - Application does not work.

Test to pass = Positive testing = application works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Gaurav, I really don't wish to get into a long discussion about negative testing again but: [ QUOTE ]
    Postive testing - Application works
    Negative testing - Application does not work.

[/ QUOTE ]

is a bit too simplified. For instance, if the requirements say that the max. login ID length for a login box is 5 characters and you put in 4 characters and hit "enter", and you get an error message, is not the application working as designed? The error message is presented as the requirements dictate, meaning that possibly this is actually a posititive test? Think about it. Not so simple is it?

Attempting to classify and simplify a complex subject is alright, but it also tends to confuse the issues.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Negative Testing, the way I use it, is to purposely make the application fail by using techniques to simulate scenarios that the application should never be in or encounter (Fault Injection, Fuzzing, etc.) By the definition Gaurav uses I just consider that a failure, if I do something the app works, if something goes wrong it does not work.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Requirement 1 - There would be a text box which should accept characters between 5 and 12 characters.

What is the "minimum" number of tests we would perform to ensure that this works

IMHO - "Minimum" would mean positive tests only.
    Negative would test other boundaries too. (4 characters)

Requirement 2 - For incorrect inputs, error messages should be displayed.

Now if I enter 4 characters, then I am performing Negative testing for Requirement 1 however a Postive test for Requirement 2.

Normally, I attempt to keep this distinction by ensuring that the requirements are atomic and my test cases are not cross functional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast