Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Metrics and Measurements

What are the metrics to be followed for an any project and how could estimate that whether that metrics are pass in our test....what are the documents to be submit to the client after completion of testing.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Metrics and Measurements

Hi Raju,

You can check for this topic on previous discussions.

In the meantime, here are some articles I wrote Testing Metrics and related subjects that may be of help:
    Using information already available to improve your testing & dev process
    Measuring the Testing Team
    Improving your process by keeping track of your waste

Regarding what to show your customers, this is a tricky subject since most organizations don't share internal process information with customers unless they explicitly request it.

Good Luck,
    -joel
    9 times out 10, less is actually more

PractiTest - QA and Test Management Tool
    QABlog - QA Intelligence Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Joel's got some good suggestions for sure. However, always keep in mind that a metric is a very subjective view and it can be difficult to express the true state of the product through a metric. I get a ton of metrics, but when it comes time for release, I'll rely more on my TL saying, "yeah it's pretty good", or "No, it's still horrible" to determine whether or not I'll push for a release. I usually request a report leading up to the end project and also periodic status reports, which outline our major concerns and recommendations.

As far as what to deliver to the client. It would largely depend on what the client has requested and, also, what you are contracted to provide. In many cases the customer will write into their agreement that they will receive periodic updates on the progress of the software. It's usually more detailed than this, but it is in there sometimes. If this is the case then there is usually a Non-Disclosure Agreement or something like that signed also. Anyway, the long of the short of it is you might not have a choice what to deliver. If the customer has asked for full disclosure, then you might show them everything. Many times this is a burden, but some times this can also be a good thing because it gives you periodic updates in the development process indicating if you're on the right track or not.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In a development project following metrics can be captured:

- Requirements Stability Index
    - Requirements Creep
    - Effort Distribution by Activity
    - Defect Density
    - Residual Defect Density
    - Schedule Variance
    - Schedule Slippage
    - Effort Variance
    - Productivity
    - Size Variance
    - COQ
    - COPQ
    - Customer Satisfaction Index

Although there are many metrics that can be measured. However, these are the common one.
    ----------------------------------------
    Thanks n Best Regard,

P
    ~~Happy Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Agree with above but keep in mind that you only need to measure or get indicators related to the objectives of the testing. So please, first identify your testing objectives with enough detail to get an idea of what to measure, then sort them by priorities and later get the measure or indicator (KPI)

In my last UAT project I got these ones (some of them):
    Objective: deliver on time
    Description: Deliver test results as planned

KPI/Metrics:
    Deviation dates (days)
    #of amends needed in production spreadsheets
    #issues raised to IT
    #changes in testing scope
    Albert Franquesa
    Testing Services