Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Scripting test cases for manual tests

Hi,

I find myself in a position at my new employer where our test sheets look similar to this...
    http://www.sqablogs.com/JakeBrake/12...e+Example.html

My problem is that there's no visual proof that the test actually passed.
    This also makes continuity difficult. For example where a tester is sick and the task needs to be taken over by someone new.

With visuals there would be no uncertainty as to what to do and what to look for.
    In addition, it would make skimming through the steps much quicker.

Therefore my question to you is doesn't it make sense to design test scripts with screen shots? That's how we used to do it at my previous client.

How do you guys do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Scripting test cases for manual tests

Some people are visual. I think visuals are a good idea. I think you should add what you need to have the level of desired comfort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Cool man. Didn't know that blog was yours.
    Yeah, I'm a very visual person. I don't like to deal with unnecessary data.

So, I was thinking of taking out the "Test Steps/Data" column and having a separate worksheet for each test. The steps of each test would proceed down the sheet with a screen shot for each step, where necessary.

So I'd have the following...
    Step | Expected Result | Actual Result
    (Screenshot here)

Next step | Expected Result | Actual Result
    (Screenshot here)

And the worksheet with the results could still be used as a dashboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tyler,

A 'visual' test case may be good if you have people who lack domain knowledge (generally unfamiliar with the application under test), or who may require a bit more supervision and prescriptive direction.

However, I would suggest that following an approach descibed above has some dieadvantages including:
    a.) Test cases that very prescriptive and tend to constrain or narrow the testers perspectives (e.g. test data is always the same, images must match, etc.)
    b.) Creating the tests in the first place is a monumental task. (I saw a set of test like this once. One test that tracked a particular business logic flow was over 150 pages long.)
    c.) Test maintenance becomes a nightmare if and when the user interface changes or business logic flow changes.

It is not that I would advice against using images at all. As Jake said visual can be a good idea in the right situations. But, I would use images sparingly, and only as exemplified memory aids; not as detailed maps that point "you are here." In fact if you think about test case design like making a map, a good test design may be more similar to a topographic map that helps hikers navigate terrain as opposed to a granular city street map that details each building to guide the postman in delivering mail to each prescribed address.
    - Bj -
    <font color="red">I.M. Testy blog</font>
    <font color="red">Testing Mentor</font>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

100% TM!! Thanks for the input.

This approach works for me as I don't have many test cases. The main benefit I get from this is visual proof that a test has passed. I don't think it necessary to show every bit of navigation.

So the test script should basically have a screenshot of DB/interface before and after as well as the data being updated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am little skeptical on the point of having the screen shot instead of test steps/scenario as part of test case.
    Since most of the time test cases are derived from the requirement documents and screens shot may not be available at initial requirement phase.

I do agree on the factor that if screen shot are incorporate as part of test case will be help full in fast navigation and for fresher to understand it better, but it may work for small and simple projects not for large and complex projects.

To encounter the above problem bench of testers should be maintain and training on application should be provided on regular interval.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

My problem is that there's no visual proof that the test actually passed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Therefore my question to you is doesn't it make sense to design test scripts with screen shots?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite follow. How does designing test scripts with screen shots give visual proof that the test has actually passed?

Designing of test scripts usually happen before the test script is run. What you want is the screen shots showing test results AFTER the test script has been run? Why not mandate the attachment of screen shots of test results to the excel spreadsheet as objects (assuming excel is being used)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Screenshots instead of test steps are not alwasy a good idea becuase when the layout of the screen changes you have to remodify the test case. This can be tedious if you have many test cases. Also I think the best way for you to get "Proof" that a test passed is to use some sort of test management tool like QC if your a large test team or TOMOS for small to mid sized businesses. This wil also help with the problem if someone is out and another person has to run there tests. A good test case can be run my almost anyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well in some cases that i've encountered with, a visual proof can be quite useful and in some other cases it could bring troubles.
    For example, if there is no change to the screen but it changes the database in several table, then for proofing that, you have to capture each and every changes that happens in the database. Imagine if one button click changes 20 tables and you have 10 button that works like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I prefer taking a screen shot of every case whether passed or failed for future reference.
    It is time consuming but a tester can defend by showing the screen shots that the case was failed or passed.
    I have nothing to declare except my genius. -Oscar Wilde