Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Upgrade from SQL2000 To SQL2008

Hi All,

Currently our company is using SQL-2000 and we are planning to upgrade to 2008.

As a QA\tester what are things we need to to as part of manual testing.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Upgrade from SQL2000 To SQL2008

I don't want to rewrite everything, so check out this thread and its associated link.

SQL Upgrade Gotcha's
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

1) Eat pizza
    2) Stay at work until 4am
    3) Cry

Those are just things that I found we needed to do when we migrated the last time, in addition to what Michael has here.

Oh yeah, the one thing that caused 1, 2 and 3? We must migrate immediately! Sooooooo, let's just do the upgrade on our production DBs directly, because it shouldn't cause any problems [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (per DBA)

So the real question is, do you have a sandbox to test this migration on first? If so, I'd do that before doing anything else.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

And some simple things to consider (which could be in any one of the threads linked from Michael's link above):

1. How does data get into the database? (Consider the front end and what kind of data entry points there are. Do you have ETL jobs that load data into the database?)
    2. How does data come out of the database? (Do you have batch/ETL jobs that pull data into files? Can your application pull data from the database for the application?)
    3. How is the data manipulated within the database? (Do you have stored procedures, triggers, or other db objects that periodically act on the data?)

Lastly, it would be important to understand what changes, if any, your DBA has to make in order to perform the upgrade. This would point to other potential areas to analyze and test.

Just some random thoughts.
    Jason Trebilcock

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

-George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright and Nobel Prize winner, 1856-1950

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

To add something a little more useful, check out this too:

http://www.red-gate.com/

I just actually came across these tools today, coincidentally, so I haven't actually used them. However, if you would be able to spend $1000 and compare the data and schema against your previous database (which I assume will be backed up somewhere) then at least you can verify that there hasn't been any data loss, truncation, corruption, etc., during the upgrade.

Again, don't know if this will work in the case of an upgrade or not, but you should definitely check into it because the price looks right.

*Edit: Just noticed that you can actually get all the apps bundled for less than $2000. That would also give you a data generator, dependency checker and more. This looks really sweet actually.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------