Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

New System v\'s old system

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me?

We are currently replacing an old system with a completely new system. The new system will have the old systems data transferred to it.

To test the new system and the data migration, i was thinking of comparing the 2 sets of data, between the 2 systems, against eachother. The theory behind it being that not all our testers have the expertise to say whether the data showing is correct, so this is proof that it has worked?

Is this a practised technique? is there a known methodology for doing this??

Thanks alot for your time

Matt Wilson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: New System v\'s old system

[ QUOTE ]
    To test the new system and the data migration, i was thinking of comparing the 2 sets of data, between the 2 systems, against eachother. The theory behind it being that not all our testers have the expertise to say whether the data showing is correct, so this is proof that it has worked?

Is this a practised technique? is there a known methodology for doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that if the data on the new system is "equal" to the data on the old system, then that, by definition, means it is "correct"?

If so, then yes - this is very common.

As far as techniques, it depends on what kinds of transformations are necessary to get the data from the old to the new systems.

Sometimes, you can directly compare the two using a database query or such.

Sometimes, it's more effective to extract both the old and new into some common format, then compare them.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, if you are all domain experts then this is a good test. As Joe indicates, though, I would check and see what has changed. Is there data formats that have changed? ie is a Varchar(255) now Varchar(100) and how does this impact the current system. Are there fields putting data into that field which accept values greater than 100?

So aside from the data migration itself, there will be additional testing required to validate that the new information going into the database will also be correct.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are a couple of things that I'd be concerned with:

1. Is the migrated/converted data usable? That is, through the application.

2. Will new data behave as the old did (to Brent's point)?
    Jason Trebilcock

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

-George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright and Nobel Prize winner, 1856-1950

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I want to take Jason's point further.

YOU NEED TO TEST THE RESULTS OF THE MIGRATION VIA USER SCENARIOS!!!

From my experience alone I can mention the following bugs that happened after data migration (even after all the data was accounted for in the new schema)

1. Unable to create a new entity in the application - on migrated systems the application could not create a new entity only on new schema. Obviously the developers had never pressed the button NEW on an old and updated project.

2. Unable to open old entities on migrated project. You could create new ones, but old ones where not been read accordingly.

3. Unable to open old attachments on the new system. The attachments were not erased, but the system could not correctly read their path. Thus you could see them in entities and the database, only when trying to open them would you see they where not reachable.

4. Problems with customizations on system. Everything from fields not functioning to specific user groups and permissions that stopped working.

And the list goes on and on...

Just to make sure my point is clear, checking data on the database is only the beginning of a schema upgrade test. Most of the interesting stuff can be checked easier and more efficiently using functional scenarios.

My 2 cents (based on endless buggy nights of project migration testing...)
    -joel
    9 times out 10, less is actually more

PractiTest - QA and Test Management Tool
    QABlog - QA Intelligence Blog

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am in similar project and main area i concentrate are

1. The amount of data which is the count
    2. Compare historical data manually.
    3. Check if the got corrupted when migrated to new system.

All the abouve areas are done manually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks alot everyone, these are really useful comments.

This seems like a bit of mine-field, so all tips and hints will be incorporated! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Beyond of checking that the data got migrated correctly I would check for data integrity issues, db schema differences, db objects differences and compile correctly(Indices, Table Spaces, Store procedures, sequences, views, et cetera).
    Some common issues that you might run into are that the db sequences are not set up correctly or out of sink, temp spaces are not big enough, rollback spaces or table extents are not properly configured.
    It is good practice to test the creation and structure of the new created DB and compared it with the old DB.
    Toad is a good tool to use for comparing deferent DB schemas and objects.
    Virtually yours:
    Juan Pablo Chellew