Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I can\'t find a way to use the test design method~

Now I am working on a very big project, which has last 10 years long. But still many new feature need to be added it.
    When i do new feature test design, i found that it's really hard to use the test design method, such as equivalence partitioning, Boundary Conditions... Because the new feature is very professional and a little complex...

If anyone has the same experience? Could you give me some instrutions? the more I learn testing knowledge, the more I am confused... I can't use what I have learned in my daily testing.

Could you help me please?

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: I can\'t find a way to use the test design method~

[ QUOTE ]
    Now I am working on a very big project, which has last 10 years long. But still many new feature need to be added it.
    When i do new feature test design, i found that it's really hard to use the test design method, such as equivalence partitioning, Boundary Conditions... Because the new feature is very professional and a little complex...

If anyone has the same experience? Could you give me some instrutions? the more I learn testing knowledge, the more I am confused... I can't use what I have learned in my daily testing.

Could you help me please?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused, could you clarify a little bit?
    I'm not 100% sure I understand the problem you're having. Are you trying to use what you have learned for your test design even though it may not be suitable?
    We live in the dumbest world on the planet and there's no colour the sky can't be at any given time. Remember that!
    http://dancedwiththetester.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/tonybruce77

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Equivalence Class Partitioning and Boundary Conditions should be relatively simple regardless of what you're testing or how complex the application is.

When I say "boundary" I don't necessarily think numbers. It doesn't have to be numbers, for instance. If we're talking about an email application it could be the size of the email itself. So it could be sending a zero-byte email. ECP might consider sending HTML mail, special characters, a different character set, etc.

These boundaries are everywhere, just try to think outside the box a little and you shouldn't come up with something.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For example, I analyze a new feature. After reading related info and communicating with developers, I understand this new feature well. Then I list the check points. For the check point, there are many necessary other inputs, I only can pick the most important combination from my point view.

I list all the important check points and combination from my view. I found that I didn't use any test analysis method during my design and I have no evidence to say that I design the best test cases. So I think I may need to improve my test design. And I read a lots of books of testing, I find that I can't understand well. I think I may lack the testing experience. I really want to improve myself. I hope you could give me some guides from your experience [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And Could you show me your design process? Maybe your thinking process?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Limin,

I faced the same issue around 8 years back when I started testing. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

My mentor instead of explaining Testing theory to me gave me small hypothetical applications on which I practiced Test Case design.

I would like to propose the same.

Let's say, we have a webpage on which there are two text box. (Each text box can accept 25 characters each)
    There are two buttons "Login" and "Clear"

Now, using your common sense (of the above mentioned “poor specification”) or whatever understanding of test design techniques, try to jot down 50 test cases. While designing these test cases, also try to mention which test design technique you have used for that particular test case.

You might want to practice this exercise by sharing your test cases with your team or this discussion forum.

Be patient, and you would be able to observe the fantastic test cases, this discussion group's members would be able to give you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Many thanks for sharing your experience You're right. I should be patient to learn testing knowledge. There is an adage in China, "you can't build up your constitution on one monthful".
    You suggestion is very good. I will try that. I hope I can do it well Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks

IMHO (This was added as an edit. I do not wanted to be grilled on my opinion)

The problem with "most" testing books which "I have read" is that they are considered as "reference books". Instead of newbie learning books.
    I really would like to see a "Teach yourself Software Testing in 24 hours" or "Software Testing for Dummies"

However, there is one book, I would like to recommend: "Software Testing" by Ron Patton
    http://www.amazon.com/Software-Testing-2...2871&sr=1-1

You might want to Read Chapter 5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Also, I would like to recommend:

100 questions in 20 minutes – The art of clearing traps in testing by Pradeep Soundararajan
    http://testertested.qualityfrog.com/HQITM.pdf

This will also explain the concept of questioning...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes. I have bought the book:
    Software Testing by Ron Patton
    software Testing by Paul C. Jorgensen

I need to spend more time on understanding them

Acturally I have a plan that I will develop a samll product by myself in my spare time. I will learn all the things of Software development lifecycle. I can do the examination of testing knowledge on it. I hope I can insist on it and complete it well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Acturally I have a plan that I will develop a samll product by myself in my spare time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    I can do the examination of testing knowledge on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may not be a good idea. The following articles would help you understand why..

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Testing/Fe.../14808109069/0/

http://www.developerfusion.com/colum...heir-own-code/

http://blogs.msdn.com/micahel/archiv...opersTest.aspx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast