Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why manual tester need scripting languages ?

I see a lot of job openings asking manual testers for Perl, java, java script, Python etc. Does manual testers actually use all that in their job or companies being too unreasonable in expecting all that from black box testers ?
    please clear that for me
    thanks
    Don't work harder, work smarter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Why manual tester need scripting languages ?

Manual testing does not necessarily mean black box testing. Even so, they probably want people familiar with applications driven by those languages and technologies.

Personally, I think all testers should try to learn some basic scripting of at least one language, it can make working out where to poke a whole lot easier... It's a bit like learning any language - if you know the basics of how it's constructed, you can get the general idea of what's going on without having to be an expert.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

IMO, manual testing is not just about clicking on a web-based application and logging bugs. I do not think companies are being unreasonable in expecting some additional skills or something that they may be useful for the job.

In my previous job, I and my QA Director made a list of skills that one person should have. It was a long list but all those were not mandatory. We told our panel of interviewers that they should look for people who got good understanding of most skills. Since it was a Testing Competency Center, we shifted people from one project to another. This is where we were reasonable in looking for a larger set of skills even from manual tetsers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    IMO, manual testing is not just about clicking on a web-based application and logging bugs. I do not think companies are being unreasonable in expecting some additional skills or something that they may be useful for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are you implying that testing in and of itself is not a useful skill for the job and that a tester MUST bring additional skills to the table?

If so, that is one of the problems - the perception that anyone can do testing. WAKE UP - TESTING IS A SKILLSET ALL BY ITSELF!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Just because you may manually test something, doesn't mean you won't ever write a script that can do it for you later on. I work with a test suite that is written in Perl, and has some C and Java components, I also do a lot of manual testing but I also make scripts so that I don't need to do the same manual steps over and over. Without knowing what job postings you are looking at its hard to say, but I will say that being able to automate your own work allows you to grow, and not every company wants only manual testing forever and ever. They may have test cases written in the languages you describe, they may also have applications written in those languages, which would be a help in being able to determine test cases.

As has been said, knowing some programming concepts and languages can only be a help, when your job revolves around testing software.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

yeah i get ur point. but i know C, C++ but not wel enough to answer in interview since i havent used it in my career at all
    Don't work harder, work smarter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    WAKE UP - TESTING IS A SKILLSET ALL BY ITSELF!!

[/ QUOTE ]

of course... but it is a skill set that can be augmented by programming knowledge. Certain tasks just can't be done without scripting of some sort.
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would believe the reason for asking for some knowledge/experience with scripting languages would be to help aid your work in Manual Testing.

For example, you may need to write a script to do basic file compares or searches for specific strings (which can be done with a combination of a script driving something like WinDiff and/or fgrep) in a very large file (like a log file).

You would write yourself a bunch of little utility programs to aid in your work.
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    WAKE UP - TESTING IS A SKILLSET ALL BY ITSELF!!

[/ QUOTE ]

of course... but it is a skill set that can be augmented by programming knowledge. Certain tasks just can't be done without scripting of some sort.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Absolutely. But the statement that a tester must bring some other skillset to the table to be useful implies that testing is not a useful skillset. THAT is what I object to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For Manual Testing these scripting languages are not necessary.For Automation testing good knowledge on Scripting languages are preferred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast