Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

how to improve quality

may i know about quality and how to improve quality in testing the application?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: how to improve quality

The answers to your questions would take - as with your question about MS-Windows and UNIX differences, months to document. Is this an interview question? IF so it should probably go in the Interview forum.

What answers do you have already for your questions?

Have you considered buying relevant books?

Please visit and browse the Software Process Improvement and Quality Methodologies forums near the bottom of the main page here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm going to break down your question into two.

For the 1st question:
    "FITNESS FOR USE" I happen to love Joseph M. Juran's definition about quality. It is so simple and that's quality.

About the 2nd question:
    Read some testing books from different author and use each authors strongest technique and combine it.

Before you start testing your application think like this "I am testing because I want this application to be immaculate" then from that mindset the rest of the unexpected quality criteria will follows because your brain will struggle to make it happen.

Good luck!

urs,
    Reynald Geonson
    Cheers,

Reynald S. Geonson

<font color="gray">You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives. - Clay P. Bedford</font>
    CLICK HERE... another set of skill i possessed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    how to improve quality in testing the application?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that this though ran through Jake's mind, but he didn't state it.

Testing does not improve quality of the application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Although many definitions exists for QUALITY "FITNESS FOR USE" as derived by Sir juran and as stated by personaluser here is most suitable and precise.

Testing will not improve the quality of application developed rather testing verifies and validates V&amp;V) the quality of application. To be more precise testing "unveils the bugs inside the apps and thereby stating the stage in which the quality of product at present".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Also for your second question which is not improved because of testing process, i can give u some theoretical explanations and of course these are practical too with real time implications.

Before going to improve quality just get to know about terminologies such as QUALITY ASSURANCE - QA (which is process oriented approach) and QUALITY CONTROL QC(which is product oriented). Testing comes under the category Quality control since you are validating the product against specified requirements.

Coming to Quality improvement process - purely done by the quality assurance - A process oriented approach - which is used to improve the quality of application from the initial stage of SDLC itself. QA has set of documents, standards such as ISO, IEEE standards, guidelines, etc in order to develop the application so that the developed app will meet quality control test.

i just mentioned very theoretical definitions for quality improvement process. It won't stop here. It is a piece of information from an ocean of Quality. Google things you want to know. Keep googling and enjoy learning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    "Testing does not improve quality of the application."

[/ QUOTE ]
    Umm... yes it does if it finds bugs that get fixed it does, because that's one aspect of Quality Control which is what testing is. Capturing issues that reduce quality so they can be remediated to achieve the quality level expected. Testing doesn't improve the likelihood of quality for subsequent products however, that’s Quality Assurance.

In answer to the question as I’ve interpreted it ‘not via testing’ but by addressing the reasons for the quality issues. To do that you need to know what the quality issues are so get good at bug reporting and issue tracking. Do post deployment analysis to think about why the issues or collection of similar bugs came about. Then work out how to reduce or eliminate them and create an action plan for folks upstream.

Take the above findings on board and use it to inform the way you test. Creating cases that will trap ever more complex issues, regress over areas allegedly improved and help you find new areas that need to follow a cycle above. Rinse and repeat.

Mark Crowther

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Testing does not improve quality of the application."

[/ QUOTE ]
    Umm... yes it does if it finds bugs that get fixed it does,

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, it's not the "testing" or even the "finding" that improves quality. Rather, it's the "fixing".

You can test all you choose. But unless fixes occur, the quality level is unchanged.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Before you start testing your application think like this "I am testing because I want this application to be immaculate" then from that mindset the rest of the unexpected quality criteria will follows because your brain will struggle to make it happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reynald,

What an inspirational comment to make! I too believe that the high quality is seeded when everyone concerned starts work with a powerful desire to better the set expectations or end up with a “perfect” application.

Inder P Singh
    Inder P Singh

For more of my thoughts, visit the blog, Software Testing Space @ http://inderpsingh.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The discussion about the fixing really resonates for any experienced tester. Confusion, rage, then acceptance might be the steps for accepting that your bugs won't always get fixed...try not to slide all the way to indifference, though it may help you relax.

That point touches on software quality not being intrinsic to testing. Testing evaluates the work product of a different function, development. By providing timely feedback in a form/style where it can and will be heard, testing does what it can to help that work product improve.

I do not think that processes are necessarily the answer to improving quality, because my experience has been that quality comes down to the skill of the people involved, the time they have to execute, and the will of the people running the project to stop adding features at a certain point, and then wait long enough for the remaining bugs to be worked out. A process that defines timelines, yes. A process that starts describing methodology, putting documentation requirements, or otherwise interposing in the difficult enough task of producing good software can be a handicap.

Testers have a role in that, but note that they are providing feedback and information, not fixing bugs or setting schedules. A real challenge for a tester is that these other two components are usually out of his sphere, and really not addressable on his say-so.

In the end, I think this is a question about Development practices, not testing.

too sense..
    Eric Proegler
    Performance Lead
    Hyland Software

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast