Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Difference in Test Strategy and Test Plan

Hi All,

Could anyone please let me know the difference in Test Strategy and Test Plan?

How to prepare Test Strategy document?

Thanks in advance,
    ~Santosh
    Regards,
    ~Santosh

Lets Make The Test World - Smart

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Difference in Test Strategy and Test Plan

Try looking here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test Plan is the parent document that outlines the testing activities, resources required for testing etc. for testing an application.

Test strategy is more or less a mini plan (many-a-times a part of the test plan) and is referred as a document that is required to plan out what is to be tested and how it is to be tested. For e.g. There is a feature 'X' in an application which sends out Bulk emails (say 50 K emails in one go). So, strategy would let you know how you are going to carry out the testing. A pointer to the scenarios involved for testing feature 'X', how to execute the scenarios (manually or with the help of scripts), how to generate test data and so on.

So, in short, test strategy will talk about "how to carry out tests, what all tests to carry out and which methodology should be involved to carry out tests".
    Cheers !!
    ~Jaspal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I totally agree with Jaspal. To add a few extra points:

i. Test Strategy - A document which describes "What is the Testing Methodology", "What is the testing model" and "What is the approach".

This is a child document which would be a part of the Test Plan document.

ii. Test Plan document - A test Plan document would be derived from MPP (Master Project Plan) which is usually circulated from the senior management & development team. Using this as a basis a Testing team (IVVs or ITS) would model the Test plan.

Usually a Test plan would contain the below information:

i. Test Strategy -
    Testing Model (V-Model, W-Model, Waterfall, LCM - Intergrated Work Flow, SCRUM, Agile etc.,)
    Testing Phase - (Unit, Integration, System, System Integration, Alpha, Beta, UAT, PAT, UPT, UPM etc.,)

ii. Environment cycle plan
    iii. Number of Testing cycles that are planned
    iv. Batches that are to be run across each of the cycles
    v. Details on the Business and Calender Dates
    vi. Availability of the Interfaces (Internal & External) for testing
    vii. Test Data plan (mapping and generation)
    viii. Availability of functionality across phases (if the dev. team has promised a phase wise code drop)
    ix. Plan to sequence the test scripts (cases) based on functions available across phases
    x. Test deliverables (Both in preparation & execution phase)
    xi. Human Resource availability and resource planning (details on ramp-up and ram-downs)
    xii. System resource availability - Hardware, software, platform, remote connections, VPNs etc.,
    xiii. Project reporting structure (Client side & Vendor side)
    xiv. Risks, contigency plan and mitigations.

I am sorry, the above order might not be right, but these are most of the points which i can think of. Its been a little while since i have written a document.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

The Test Strategy document usually exists at a level higher than the project level. The test strategy is implemented in different ways in different companies/ domains. It could exist as a management policy or as part of the company/ department/ office quality management system or in a program governance plan. It is possible that there is no documented test strategy in an organization, but the test strategy exists as a general understanding among the management, employees and/ or customers.

Test strategy mentions the general approach that shall be used in testing as well as different types of testing e.g. functional, exploratory, security etc. that shall be performed. Further, the test strategy document could mandate metrics that shall be collected and analyzed during testing. Since the test strategy directs the testing effort in all projects, it is usually not updated very frequently. A senior office/ team/ role/ person in the organization is usually the owner of the test strategy document.

The Test Plan document simply implements the defined test strategy according to the specific needs of the project. Due to peculiar needs of a project, a particular test plan document might not be able to satisfy all the mandates of the higher level test strategy document.

Many thanks,
    Inder P Singh
    Inder P Singh

For more of my thoughts, visit the blog, Software Testing Space @ http://inderpsingh.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    I totally agree with Jaspal.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I totally DISAGREE with Jaspal.

Did you guys even bother to read the thread that Myrtle pointed out? Inder's understanding corresponds with my own.

When you write a thesis, do you do the outline (the strategy) first, and then fill in the facts (the plan)? Or do you write the thesis first (the plan) and then go back and figure out the outline of your thesis (the strategy)? Sure, both will work, but one is much more efficient than the other in determining if you will hit the end goal.

This subject has been hacked to death. May I suggest that you do a bit of searching and research before we rehash the same stuff over and over? How many times do we have to ask the same question?

All this stuff, including my own, is opinion, not fact. The only fact is how they are defined where you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would still disagree with DSquadred. Forget about writting a thesis.

Getting into a real time project, a good Test plan will always be in line with a MPP.

You first have to draft the Test plan which talks about what the different phases the testing team would involved in (example SIT & UAT).

This test plan should have the strategy that needs to be followed during the SIT phase and during the UAT phase. Remember that test strategy during these two phases may or may not be the same!!

Assuming they are different, YOU SHOULD draft different test strategy for each of the phases, but the Test Plan (roadmap) is always the same!

Search or research would help, but we need to understand the basics and use our experience when it comes to drafting the Test plan which is a road map till final product deployment into production (general life cycle). In this road map you have several phases (milestones) of testing which might be right from Unit testing onwards till UAT.

Strategy across each phase of testing is different. Define the strategy across each phase within the Test plan document.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think that different companies have different flavours, but if you stick to ISEB or ISTQB, you have to agree with Inder P Singh. ISEB /ISTQB have the following documents described.

1. Test Policy
    2. Test Strategy
    3. Master Test Plan
    4. Level Test Plan

It goes from a very very high level docuemt (Test Policy) further down to very detailed documentation (Test Level Plan).

Have a look at the ISTQB documentation at http://www.istqb.org/download.htm

Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Did you guys even bother to read the thread that Myrtle pointed out? Inder's understanding corresponds with my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved Ainars comparison to war defining strategy and tactics. I was going to use a similar analogy using soccer. Either way, my understanding corresponds with Inder, Myrtle and DS. You cannot make a plan unless you first develop your strategy.
    Sandy Canetti

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

'It ain't what you do; its the way that you do it' highlights the difference between test strategy and test planning.