Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Risk Management

Hi everyone..

Can you please give some feedback on "Risk Management". How we do this Risk Management process ?
    Who all are involved in this process & do we have some tool for it..? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Thanks & Regards
    Shreya

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Risk Management

Shreya,

Please provide a context - risk management in what respect? What do you already understand about this topic in your situation? What have your own search efforts turned up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Actually I am testing a web application, my TL send me a Risk Management plan(Genral template). He want to discuss about that with me.Some points are clear to me like why we use it and some comman points like:
    1.Common Risks
    2.Technical Risks
    3.Process Risks
    4.Technology Risk
    5.Development Risk

But the thing I would like to know is what exactly people are following in this. Actually this is the first time our company will be opting risk management. My question is how we do this risk planning? what all are the points we should take care of ?

How we do this Risk Management process ?
    Who all are involved in this process & do we have some tool for it..?
    Thanks & Regards
    Shreya

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Wow! So you are a tester testing a web app and your test lead wants you to identify risks on the software you are testing??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

No actually our management is planning to use these documents in every project. As I am working as SQA engineer so they want all of us to be associated with this, therefore want to know about this...!!
    Thanks & Regards
    Shreya

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Program and project risks are potentially sufficient to make this forum an inappropriate place to discuss them on short notice. Your management needs to step it up several notches and do some work on their own! What are they getting paid to do?? Risk management strongly connotes work on the part of managers. That is not to say others should not have input. However, to start thinking about risk management now per what you have framed to this point, is a bit like attempting to retrieve a bullet already in flight.

Send them here:
    Googlet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Its ok... will try to explore somewhere else..thanks lot
    Thanks & Regards
    Shreya

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Its ok... will try to explore somewhere else..thanks lot

[/ QUOTE ]Good! "Somewhere else" is the idea behind the googlet I provided you on my volunteer time. I am sure the 200K plus pages in the Googlet I provided will yield far more than you had ever hoped for. Given that you posted nothing about your architecture, it would be very difficult for anyone here to describe the technical risks other than those already known at a general level. Given that nothing is known here about the makeup of your organization and/or project teams, and - skillsets of the whole lot; one could not begin to chararacterize the general risks related to those domains. But it does appear that your management may be a risk in itself given the nature of your mission and the timing of same. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I think based upon your posts under this link, it would pay for you to warm up to searching. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    I think based upon your posts under this link, it would pay for you to warm up to searching. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lolzz...correct...anyway thanks for your help...
    Thanks & Regards
    Shreya

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ugh! Risk Management is a very touchy subject. I mean there is so much involved here. What Jake is getting at is totally valid.

I don't even know that I could generalize risk management. If I could then it would be, "Define all the What Ifs and the associated costs"

NOW!!! With that said, when I have seen people try to use this tactic of "taking input", it is only to cover themselves later on, so be careful of the input you give. In the event that the project is a wild success, you will likely not be given any credit for your input, but if it goes sour then the finger may be pointing squarely at you.

I don't do risk management because I, for the most part, value my job, and people who assess risk tend to fly high as long as they don't make a critical error. If you absolutely must give some sort of input, it would only be cautionary notes like giving areas you are not comfortable with in the application. I would never state that you feel the application is ready to ship, by any means.

I used to work in an environment where I had waaaaaay too much power, including providing many risk assessments. One word: Ulcer.

You can use lower-level risk assessments, though, during test cycles to try and determine where you should apply more of your testing efforts. From this perspective, this might be something I would be comfortable with. Just try to stay away from the high-level stuff.

What size of company are you working with? It's smaller, isn't it?
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast