Work stream 2
    Work stream 3
    OAT
    Cycle 1
    Cycle 2
    Cycle 2
    Online Performance Test
    Cycle 1

The brakes it down into 3 high level stages: planning, preparation and execution. Does anyone have any comments on this as a structure. Can it be done better or differently?

Thanks

Robert
    Regards

Robert Gallafent

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Structure of a testing plan

Difficult to comment, based just on the headers of a test plan, but you might want to add/expand on some of the phases:

Preparation might be split in designing the test cases, and designing the test system (if applicable). You also need to plan for some time to just set up the test environment.

Typically not planned for is the completion phase - make sure you have some time and resources to report on your test execution and to maintain your test ware (you might find issues with that as well).

Not sure whether I want to comment on the use of MS Project for Test planning - personally do I feel that it (MS Project) resembles for this purpose more a strait jacket than a useful tool. Test plans have the tendency to change. Even if your project scope stays unchanged (unlikely) than you will find that you have to re-plan after the first and every subsequent test run, taking your test results into consideration. MS Project is however rather unhelpful (should I say painful) for modifying / maintaining plans ...
    Take a spreadsheet program instead ...

cheers, Heiko

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Heiko

MS project is a pile but unfortunately it is the tool that i am stuck with!. However, i could no agree more that it is sometimes less the helpful

We have an excel plan which shows when environments are going to be ready, code drops etc but they issue that i have is the activities are not showing the dependences. So the excel plan looks like we can deliver when in fact our time scales a very short

Any Thoughts?
    Regards

Robert Gallafent

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by HeikoM:
    Not sure whether I want to comment on the use of MS Project for Test planning - personally do I feel that it (MS Project) resembles for this purpose more a strait jacket than a useful tool. Test plans have the tendency to change. Even if your project scope stays unchanged (unlikely) than you will find that you have to re-plan after the first and every subsequent test run, taking your test results into consideration. MS Project is however rather unhelpful (should I say painful) for modifying / maintaining plans ...
    Take a spreadsheet program instead ...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I'd agree with that. I was doing separate MS Project Plan for QA but useless when have numerous small tasks. Its surprising not simple excel spreadsheet + calendar can achhieve same results quicker with less pain.