Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

proportion between QA and R&D

Is anybody know what is proportion between QA and R&D. in other words, we have 50 programmers and we need to know how many people we need to take on in QA.
    May be you know any link to official documents

Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: proportion between QA and R&D

As it is a typical point of confusion, you may want to clarify whether you truly mean Quality Assurance, or by raito of QA to R&D do you actually mean ration of testers (QC) to developers?

For the latter case -- testers : developers -- there have been a number of discussions here at QAForums for which you might want to search.

------------------
    Charles Reace (charlesDOTreaceATverizonDOTnet)
    "Forward!" he cried from the rear, and the front ranks died.
    The generals sat, and the lines on the map moved from side to side.

(Roger Waters, "Us and Them")
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.</i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I need to prove to my QA Manager that the correct staffing ratio for developers to testers is 5:1 or 3:1. But he wants to see it from reliable QA sources, since I need to present some link where this statement is considered

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Do you want white papers or references from books?

You'll get whatever numbers you want - from 5:1 (usually cited for mainframe shops) to 1:1 (web). But I think you'll also find that most experts do not recommend using this kind of methodology for staffing. They recommend you analyze the applications to be tested and decide how many people you need to deploy on each, start with a core of good people (the minimum required to do the critical pieces), and grow from there.

- Linda

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Going along Linda's line of thought, I also liked to analyze the level of complexity of code that each developer was assigned if it was very complex then I dedicated 1 resource to that developer.

------------------
    Life should NOT be a trip to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an cool and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body wrecked, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I saw that a "good" argument for management could be industry benchmarks/surveys on this isuue (even is those resuts could be irrelevant for your organization). - See the recent survey done by QAI

Anyway you could take into consideration the size of your company, the business, experience of programmers, quantity and quality of unit testing done by programmers, other possible staff involved in testing,type of testing you perform (or you intend to perform), degree of automation, previous experience (quality of previous projects, number/percentage of bugs discovered in production), degree of corectness and completness of requirements you use,...

------------------
    Nobody's perfect.
    ... Not even me.
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

While I agree an analysis of the SUT
    (System Under Test) is the correct way to do
    this and feel qualified to perform this analysis, my management seems convinced I am
    "sand bagging". So, a pointer to the QAI
    survey you referenced would be greatly
    appreciated.

------------------

Bill Thomson
    Test Architect (Demolition Man)
    Testability = 1/complexity
    Bill Thomson
    Test Architect
    Testability = 1/complexity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry for missinformation. The last survey I saw was in STQE magazine september/october 2002. You can find it on the stickyminds.com site, also.

------------------
    Nobody's perfect.
    ... Not even me.
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have managed and lead many software test efforts, but I have never used a ration of developers to QA/Testers.
    There are many factors to consider and like is said above, this forum covers all of them. Some real drivers are schedule, number of releases and updates, software complexity, amount of GUI/User Input. Build a detailed schedule showing all of the QA/Test tasks and then an estimate of the number of hours required for each task. This should be done for each release and update. Then you have some info to talk from. Of course many organizations do not have detailed schedules and everything is "played by ear" Some historic data also helps.

------------------
    Larry Schneller
    IT QCC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

To expand on Larry's comments, also look at any historical data you have. Then start asking questions:

Do we normally get all the testing done that we originally planned to do, and if not, what is the typical percentage?

How much of each application release typically gets covered by testing?

How many bugs have been getting past us and reaching the customers, and causing how much rework for patches and fixes in new releases? (And what has been the cost of that rework?)

Even if you have to use rough order of magnitude estimates for these and similar question, they should help you determine at least at some quasi-objective level (with some quasi-realistic numbers) how effective your testing program has been and give you some idea how many more testers need to be added to increase effective test coverage.

------------------
    Charles Reace (charlesDOTreaceATverizonDOTnet)
    "Forward!" he cried from the rear, and the front ranks died.
    The generals sat, and the lines on the map moved from side to side.

(Roger Waters, "Us and Them")
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.</i] (The Song of Roland)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast