Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Testing case estimation technnique?

What are the best estimating techniques for testing scope in project? How do you scope out the size of the testing effort? In my knowledge, i used to follow the standard process as
    Test case creation: 15 TC's per person a day.
    Test execution: 30 TC's per person a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    At the beginning of scripting it may take a few weeks to get the first script working. Then as I have re-usable functions created I can start doing a few a day. Later on I can start copy/pasting code and do lots in a day. It may average 15 a day after time.

Thanks,

Kevin

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhava verma dantuluri View Post
    What are the best estimating techniques for testing scope in project? How do you scope out the size of the testing effort? In my knowledge, i used to follow the standard process as
    Test case creation: 15 TC's per person a day.
    Test execution: 30 TC's per person a day.
    Do you mean manually executed tests or automatic?
    I also wonder about how to calculate testing..

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    You can use the "Thumb-based" rule of estimation approach.
    Estimation can be done to "develop" & "execute" test cases.

For both, create a simple template - where you can define a criteria to "group" your test cases as Simple, Medium & Complex. For these 3, you can define the criteria that defines - "what" is Simple, Medium & Complex. This can depend upon the AUT (Application Under Test) design and the kind of tests that you are planning to develop & execute.

Put in the numbers based on your experience (or you can also refer to such numbers from your Organization Repository or Other Projects).
    Then use these to develop & execute. Refine these as an when you start noticing discrepancies.

After some time, you would come to nearby numbers that can help you to expand and perform high-level estimates for your project.
    Additional criteria can also be added based on your team configuration, their skill and expertise with certain testing types.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi,

I'm looking for details on Testcase point estimation technique.

If any organizations are already using this technique with template please share relevant information on same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I have noticed that a group of about 3 to 15 people can predict how long a task will take more accurately than an individual person. You may want to try the Poker card technique from Agile Scum.