Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test Plan Implementation

I have searched for test plan information etc and didn't find any information that relates to my specific scenario, if I missed something please point me in the correct direction.

Anyhow, I am a QA tester for a company that hosts online sites for data collection from states regarding drug and alcohol prevention. Most of the pages have 10 or so questions or fields for data entry ranging from text to radio buttons and check boxes.

We have about 10-15 projects constantly coming in and out of QA and small updates and changes are constantly being made but with so much back and forth its getting hard to keep track of what is getting tested and what isnt.

Currently we have no real use of test plans, test cases etc. We just do exploratory testing based on our own knowledge of the application and enter issues in to our bug tracking system.

We are usually given a week sometimes two for our first second and sometimes third iterations of testing before it is published.

I am trying to implement some kind of test plan document that will outline what is going to be tested and act as a guideline for testers as well as give developers and projects managers a chance to chime in with what should be added/removed from testing to help streamline as well as catch anything we might miss.

Currently my plan was to have a document housed online on Google docs (collaborative among several QA members, project management and developers, a living document) that is basically just an outline of what is going to be tested. This I believe gives us a good guideline, gives management documentation of what is/was done and since its a simple outline doesnt take away much testing time for documentation.

My question is whether or not you think this is viable to pursue or if I should attempt to incorporate a more thorough test plan or some other format. My manager has jumped behind this without giving me a chance to really vet it just within QA so I want to get opinions if you believe this will work before I continue to endorse it myself as it rolls out.

Thank you for any input.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Test Plan Implementation

I will start by stating that I am biased since I work for a company developing a QA Management system called PractiTest.

But I have also been a QA Manager for close to 15 years so I believe that you are trying to do is to apply a band-aid to an open wound.

You have projects coming in-and-out all the time, with management asking what was tested and what wasn't for each of them, so you need something that will give them visibility into each of your projects. You can do this with excel or google-docs but how long will it take your manager to decipher what results go with what project, or where to look for a specific result on a project? In the end this means that for each project you will need to work hard to document the results.

On the other hand, your sites are more-or-less standard. This can mean that many of your tests can be reused, but definitely not all of them. So you need a pull of tests you can choose from but still be able to create your custom test sets for each project. This is also feasible with excel, but quick or easy to do? Not sure...

I know many of the people in the forum think excel is good to manage tests, and it is one of the tools available, but there are other that are "a little better at it" (like using a pair of pliers to take out a screw, it can be done but why not use a screw-driver?)

I think you should look into QA or Test Management tools and examine if they can provide the things you are looking for. I will obviously recommend PractiTest since it is affordable, end-to-end, and very simple to use; but you can do a quick google search and find a large number of alternatives to choose from.

A fool with a tool is still a fool, but even a good craftsman still needs a tool to do his work right!

Good Luck
    9 times out 10, less is actually more

PractiTest - QA and Test Management Tool
    QABlog - QA Intelligence Blog