Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Defect Tracking Diagram Needed

I just started a new gig a couple weeks ago and I am responsible for starting the QA department from scratch. I am currently trying to update/re-configure Bugzilla and establish the process for defect tracking.

I was wondering if anyone has any useful diagram(s) outlining the different users (QA, Dev), their functions in regards to opening and tracking defects, flow, etc...

Why re-invent the wheel, right?

Thanks in advance for your help! h

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Defect Tracking Diagram Needed

It is not re-inventing the wheel - it is putting the right process in place for your environment.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Does everyone in this community just make comments like this or actually provide useful information?

Sure... I will take whatever diagrams are provided to me and mold those to our needs. Just looking for a starting point and positive feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Heather,

We are a fun bunch and over the years have provided useful information. Lynne simply answered one question of yours: "Why re-invent the wheel, right?"

Setting up a QA Process is a huge time-consuming effort and needs to involve a large part of if the not the whole organization. The defect tracking is but a small part in the whole of:
    1) Proper project estimating and funding
    2) Specmanship
    3) Requirements management, review, and traceability
    4) Project-level change control
    5) Product-level change control
    6) Development standards/compliance
    7) Organizational standards/compliance
    8) Inspections and reviews
    9) Defect management
    10) Configuration management
    11) Quality Control and/or System testing program
    12) Deployment
    13) Support
    14) Training
    15) Metrics
    ... and so on.

Where would you like to begin? Who is backing you for what might be a huge cultural change, require many people, and take a long time?

Here are some relevant topics:
    http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.php?Ca...true#Post299939
    http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.php?Ca...true#Post363103

Perhaps by "QA" you mean "Testing" as in "QC" or Quality Control and in the context of blackbox-based functional/regression testing?? If so, setting up a QA/C department goes far beyond defect tracking tools. It includes:
    1) Processes/practices
    2) Tools
    3) Templates
    4) Process interface definition with other project disciplines, and ...
    ... many other items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Basically, I was looking for one component. I have been working on the other pieces but right now I am going section by section. I have wrapped up the Defect Management portion so, this thread is no longer useful to me.

BTW, this is a startup company, I am the 3rd FTE and our product has not been released yet. So, I have the support that I need, it is basically my baby. Soon, I will be hiring a team and the reason why I am quickly trying to put together the QA department's 'best practices'. Oh and it is QA not QC. But later down the road will involve both.

I think I have it under control and will look to previous co-workers for assistance.

Thanks, h

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Then if it's QA, you probably don't need a bug tracking system. All you'll be interested in is putting in place the processes and procedures that prevent bugs before they occur.