Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Too many defect tracking tools!

I work for a company that uses A LOT of different tools for defect tracking and I would like your advice on how you would improve this system. Each department found it's own tool without taking into consideration what the other departments are doing. It seems a bit chaotic to me to be using so many different tracking systems and vendors. Does this system appear to be a bit unorganized to you or is this actually an efficient way to do things?

How would you change this system and what tools would you recommend.

Tools used:
    Technical Support: Remedy AR
    Test: Domino and Test Director
    buildmaster/CM: Serena Version Manager
    Help Desk: HP OpenView Self Service

Bugs found by the customer are logged in Remedy, Enhancements submitted by customers are logged in Domino, bugs found during automation testing are logged in Test Director.

The buildmaster receives files to be built via email and organizes the build using Version Manager.

According to Help Desk HP Open view can replace all of the other tools, I haven't been able to find evidence of this. Does anyone know if this is true and if so would you recommend doing this?

Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Too many defect tracking tools!

Chaotic but common. This is a situation which I doubt can be resolved in the testing team.

If you have an IT Governance team or a team that monitors software and software usage this is probably the people to discuss with as they should have the overall view and the power to do something if something can be done.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Unfortunetely I sort of am that team. The company is open to changing this environment but the more I investigate tools the more confused I get!

Thanks for the reply!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Do you have a list of requirements that your tool of choice must comply with?

If not, I would stop investigating tools and come up with the list first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Agree with Darrel - get a list of requirements. One requirement may be to use only tools that integrate well in the business - e.g. integrate with project management.

(too many tools yes - I was thinking of creating my own)
    The Test Management Guide | The Risk Management Guide
    Under construction - feedback/comments?