Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Merc. TestDirector - looking for white papers

I work for a large elec/gas utility. The IT dept has many org's, including 2 s/w test orgs.

My org uses the Segue tools for functional/regression/load/performance. the other dept uses Mercury. For enterprise apps (2) that are n-tiered and very big, the software application and system software is off the shelf, meaning we do 3rd party testing (after deployment from the vendor). Vendor also doesn't have a scaled env...so we're the scale QA as well. Ok

I want to leverage a test mgmt tool....Test Director; since the company already owns a license I'd like to leverage that.

I'm looking for white papers, information about how Test Director works (outside of the Mercury site), how 3rd party tools will interface (are there api's for Segue), what does it take to build TestDirector from the ground up with best practices recommendations (otherwise why use it?).

I've been tryingto convince the org to use a test mgmt tool for manual and automation for 3 years and just want to get some good info and experiential information.

Thanks ahead of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Merc. TestDirector - looking for white papers

I would suggest you post this in the TestDirector forum. You're asking for an awful lot of information - the kind of thing most people would take weeks or months to gather during a tool evaluation phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You are correct.

And I did post similar in TD forum... however, the answers can be references to sites? papers? quick and dirty hi level responses?

Myself and 1 collegue are trying to develop a strategy for TD implementation.... to present to mgmt ahead of time instead of mgmt (and outside consultant Accenture) dictating a template that will not fit correctly.... sigh. Especially since mgmt does not understand s/w testing, s/w automation and makes silly decisions.....

but what's new?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The references to the sites, papers etc probably contain the information you want. People do not tend to copy extensive information from various places and post it here they give you pointers to where you can find it.

When I am looking for white papers I usually start at www.stickyminds.com they have a lot of good information.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

do you by any chance work for Pigs Goats and Elephants? I worked for ComEd in a previous life.

Lynn brings up a good point. You are looking for a ton of information. Perhaps a better way to approach it would be to get a list of what you want to know, and make it as specific as possible. Then fill in what you already know. Then come back with very specific and directed questions on the pieces you don't know. For example, you asked about integration with Seque. That could be a specific question posted in TD and Silk forums - "Does Seque have an API that can interface with TD?"

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry to give you another link, but this is quite a good argument about the values of a Test Management tool.

It might help you with convincing management.

http://www.stickyminds.com/se/S6268.asp
    Everywhere's within walking distance if you have enough time.