Is Team Track a good replacement for PVCS Tracker ?
We are now in a middle of Team Track evaluation as PVCS Tracker (our current defect tracking tool) will not be enhanced anymore and the support for this tool will be ended at some point.
I'd like to know if Team Track is a good replacement for PVCS Tracker. I know that it has much more features but the concept is quite different and I am a little bit concern from the deployment phase.
Does anyone have any experience with this tool
and can specify the drawbacks of this tool compared to PVCS tracker ?
Re: Is Team Track a good replacement for PVCS Tracker ?
I don't have any experience with TeamTracker, but have used a number of other defect tracking systems.
I'll make this suggestion about looking for a replacement. This has been repeated often in these forums, but bears repeating again. Here is a suggested methodology:
1. Draw up a requirements list - features and characteristics of the replacement that you must have.
2. Rank the requirements so that you know what you need, what you want, and nice to haves.
3. Identify a number of players. Last time I checked (maybe a month ago), the list of tracking software was running close to 100. There are lots of players.
4. Reviewing their literature against your requirements, knock the list down to a manageable size.
5. For those left on your list, send out a request for quote, with your specs, and have them verify that their software will comply.
6. Filter the responses down to perhaps 3 to 5 finalists.
7. Invite the finalists to come and do a proof of concept at your site. Or, if you prefer, get trials of their software and kick it around.
8. Make the final decision based on your requirements and other considerations (e.g. financial constraints, legal constraints, support, etc).
Hope this helps generically. Tools that I have personally used and are pretty full featured: TrackWise from Sparta Systems, ClearQuest from Rational and TrackRecord from Compuware. One that I have used but personally don't like - HEAT.