User Tag List

Thread: Pseudocode

Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

What is Pseudocode and how and where it is used.

FL, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Pseudocode

For items like this, which I suspect is an exam question, a search on the INTERNET use a search engine such as google will give you a lot of information.

Also you need to re-read the form FAQS and comply with the rules. Pseadocode as your question relates is nothing to do with defect tracking.

I did a search on the Internet and the first web site I looked at provided this

What is pseudo-code?
    Computing is a funny business. Technology evolves almost every three months; six months if you are lucky. Programming languages, including everything from Assembly through C, Visual Basic through to the scripting languages like Perl and PHP, all move along at such a furious pace that keeping yourself up to date can be a real chore. Every time you turn around you're having to work with a new set of specifications, different syntax, sometimes different languages (or new versions so far removed from their predecessors as to seem almost entirely new). In this race of progress the success of a programmer can often be measured by the quality of their code (and if you haven't already read it, I would suggest you read the tutorial on good coding practices). Chunks of reusable code, blocks of logical processing - anything that cuts down development time is a valuable asset. With this in mind, bring on a new (and very old) player: pseudo-code.

Pseudo-code is not a very difficult concept to grasp. If you have a piece of code which does something in a tidy way (say a self-contained function) then the "plain English" explanation of it would be called pseudo-code. Figure 1.1 shows two pieces of "logic"; the first is written in PHP, the second is pseudo-code.

Figure 1.1 - Code and Pseudo-Code

// check if found
    if ($found) {
    echo 'Got it!';
    } else {
    echo 'Sorry - not found!';

if is found
    output "Got it!"
    output "Sorry - not found!"
    end if

As you can see, the initial code checks to see if the variable $found is true (the same as putting $found == "true") and then outputs a message based on the result. The pseudo-code for this is quite straight forward; it describes what the real code does, only in slightly plainer English.

You will notice that the structure is still very similar to the PHP if() statement. This is because the logic behind the statement is best expressed (and understood) by maintaining the similar layout, and in the next section I'll explain why this is important.

Pseudo-code does not require any special terms or language; it's not a different programming language, but an english-ized version of any and all computer languages. If you want to you can incorporate specific PHP syntax (or whatever language is your preferred poison), but it isn't necessary. Pseudo-code is more concerned with the flow of the program than the terminology or language constructs used

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Wisconsin, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Pseudocode

Two questions.

1. Did you do a search? I got 4 hits in the first forum searched.
    2. What does this question have to do with defect tracking? Please explain the connection.