Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

feature changed so much old bugs are invalid

Working with TestTrack Pro.

One of our features is basically being scrapped and re-coded. Problem is, we have logged bugs on the feature that will no longer be applicable after the feature is re-worked. For open, existing issues, not a problem - we can just close them as "Not a bug" and put in a note that feature changed. However, some defects have been fixed and verified. These were mostly high severity so will make it through to our regression testing of high severity, fixed issues.

My solution is to re-open the defects and close them again as not a bug. This is a little clunky of a fix and will take a bit of time.

My boss suggested adding comments or "old feature" to the summary but then the defects will still pass a search for high severity, fixed defects. Same problem exists with his other solution - to create a new component name for the "new" feature. However, I know I'll forget and keep using the old name.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? Any thoughts on the fixes proposed so far?

Thanks,

Gail

------------------
    Gabba Gabba Hey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: feature changed so much old bugs are invalid

I never used Test Track Pro but what I do is I set up each new version of our product as seperate products in our help desk software ( we use ieSupportManager ). This way bugs that we find in Version 1 are not logged under Version 2 etc. The idea being, that all version 1 bugs/defects are supposed to be fixed before Version 2 ( not always the case but thats the theory ). Every slight change of the software becomes a new version, this is the only way that you can be sure you know what you are running.
    HTH

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't know the tool, but...

the process might be adapted to become more flexible. Anyway I don't consider a very good idea to consider items for regresion testing only on your reason ( high severity fixed bugs). You should make it more flexible, and that shouldn't be very difficult if you'll add a new criteria. I don't know if you have another field which could be used for that purpose.
    For fixing bugs, you use only severity, not priority?
    Also for closed bugs, you don't have a resolution? This could be used for this purpose (regresion testing planning).

As I said, I don't know what your tool allow you, but usually there are workarounds to implement a solution.

Good luck!

------------------
    Nobody's perfect.
    ... Not even me.
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the replies - see there are some things I need to clear up.

1) This is not a new version - one component has failed so badly they are re-writing it - all defects until the build where they introduce the new code will not be applicable any more as that code will no longer exist in the product.

2) We do use priority. That is for development to decide. When we regress fixed issues, we look at only high severity fixed defects (unless time permits us to do more, which never happens). We just want to make sure high severity defects are not reintroduced into the code.

3) The bugs I'm worried about are the ones that are already closed as "Fixed". When I verified them, it was because the old code was present. For still open issues, they will get closed with reason "Not a bug" with an explanation that code has changed.

Looks like we will probably just add a comment to the fixed, closed, high severity issues that the feature's code is changed so this issue is no longer applicable. May even add a note to the summary to ensure anyone doing regression testing will notice.

------------------
    Gabba Gabba Hey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In my opinion, any change to software, adding or removing should be a different version. This is the only way you can be sure what each user is running and keep track of exactly what bugs exist in different versions. How would you know if the user is running the latest release ( the one without the feature ) or a previous release ( the one with the feature ). If both are saying version 1 ( for example ), then things are confusing. A bug may be reported for version 1 of the software but it may no longer exist in the latest version of the software, in which case you have an outstanding bug for version 1 of the software but its a different version of version 1!!!

A better idea would be if one was V1.00.00 ( with the feature ) and the other was V1.00.01 ( without the feature ). Then depending on your issue tracking tool you could set them up as different products.

Any time you make a change to software you are creating a new version, be it a major, minor or point release. Fixing bugs, adding features, removing features all have an impact on the stability of the software, therefore the software should be created as a new release.

HTH

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Plummi:
    Working with TestTrack Pro.

One of our features is basically being scrapped and re-coded. Problem is, we have logged bugs on the feature that will no longer be applicable after the feature is re-worked. For open, existing issues, not a problem - we can just close them as "Not a bug" and put in a note that feature changed. However, some defects have been fixed and verified. These were mostly high severity so will make it through to our regression testing of high severity, fixed issues.

My solution is to re-open the defects and close them again as not a bug. This is a little clunky of a fix and will take a bit of time.

My boss suggested adding comments or "old feature" to the summary but then the defects will still pass a search for high severity, fixed defects. Same problem exists with his other solution - to create a new component name for the "new" feature. However, I know I'll forget and keep using the old name.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? Any thoughts on the fixes proposed so far?

Thanks,

Gail

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Plummi...I'm not familiar with your defect tracker, but I'm familiar with your situation.

On a particularly large web project, the QA team that I was leading rejected 12 builds in a row. After the devs were chewed out by the director of I.T. (not my idea!) the decision was taken to completely scrap and re-write several sections of the software, possibly rendering outstanding defects obsolete and creating a situation where we might have to re-open closed defects. The tool we were using allowed us to do that (silkradar from Segue).

When the project made it to QA, we had a list of all outstanding bugs and went through them one-by-one to see if they still existed in the new code. Surprisingly, some did. Those remained open. We added a note to the log that said something like "defect still present in new code" and they were processed as new defects. The defects that were fixed by the code change were closed with the comment "fixed by new code." We then printed a list of all the closed defects on that project and re-tested them. Out of about 1000 defects we had to re-open about 400 of them.

The overall quality of the system wasn't much better than the previous system and the scrapping of old code didn't really save anyone any time, but that's beside the point. That's how we handled it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fingers:
    In my opinion, any change to software, adding or removing should be a different version. This is the only way you can be sure what each user is running and keep track of exactly what bugs exist in different versions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    'K, I'm going to explain this once more and then be done with it - it is not a new version, as in release, in which the component has been changed. No user has the old component because it was never released to the public. They are giving us a new build, not a new version.

QANerd, thanks for the advice (and for understanding the problem). Not sure, do you also post to stickyminds (under a different (and perhaps your real) name?). Anyways, I will check out all existing (closed or not) bugs when the build with this feature gets to QA. Thanks again - you seem to have a pretty no-nonsense QA knowledge - it's refreshing.

------------------
    Gabba Gabba Hey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>QANerd, thanks for the advice (and for understanding the problem). Not sure, do you also post to stickyminds (under a different (and perhaps your real) name?). Anyways, I will check out all existing (closed or not) bugs when the build with this feature gets to QA. Thanks again - you seem to have a pretty no-nonsense QA knowledge - it's refreshing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, the name I use on stickyminds is my real name. You're welcome for the advice; I'm glad you appreciate it, as my co-workers don't always appreciate my straight-shooting style. :-)

------------------