Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Getting TrackRecord to do clever stuff

I want to get TR to mail a user whenever a defect item is reassigned to them, just once. I can get a query to look at all their queries and send a mail every time the autoalert runs, but this gives too many mails and the user will probably ignore all of them. Has anyone done this?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Getting TrackRecord to do clever stuff

Hi Kinglc,
    First, most heavy TrackRecord users here have asked for email notification to be turned off as they check TR several times a day anyway and so don't need it.
    The trick is to create a lot of specific queries as opposed to several generic queries. This is more work initially but is a lot more flexible in the long term. I've found the most useful email queries are those that fire on an assignment AND a state change together. See attachment. Hope this is of some help.
    Cheers,
    Ross.

------------------
    Ross Ryan
    rossryan@ireland.com
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Ross,

I seem to have a bug because my simple mail query is sending all the results of its search every time it runs. I was expecting it to run once fully, then only include new and changed items (as it says in the user guide).

Thanks for your help anyway.

------------------
    lawrence
    ========
    lawrence.king@elata.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Lawrence,

There's definately something wrong there but it could be with the AutoAlert setup as opposed to TrackRecord. Go into AutoAlert and check the Status Synchronisation is correct. I'd contact Compuware tech support.

Cheers,

Ross.

------------------
    Ross Ryan
    rossryan@ireland.com
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The problem was with a file in the TrackRecord folder - TR_machinename_database_StatusFile.dat

I removed it and the query emails were sent out as expected. It must have got corrupted.

Lawrence

------------------
    lawrence.king@elata.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Can you send me information regarding TrackRecord? Who develops it and is your staff happy with the product?

Thanks

Zetulio
    zjimenez@ncen.com

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Zetulia,

TrackRecord is developed by Compuware (http://www.compuware.com/products/previews/trackrecord/). First, it's not purely a defect tracker; it can be customised for any workflow management task and integrates with a lot of tools like MS Project and some source code mangaement tools. It's a pretty good tool but you'd have to check out price with a local sales office. It can do most things good bug trackers can do; you set up a workflow, customise your defect form, set up rules, and create reports. The only useful thing it can't do in my opinion is to mass transition defects but I've logged this (and so have several other customers) as an enhancement request. Users are very happy with it and we are going to start using it throughout the company for more than just defect tracking.

Cheers,

Ross.

------------------
    Ross Ryan
    rossryan@ireland.com
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello,
    Deleting or remaming that status file is a temporary solution for the multiple email for one item problem. For a more perminant solution, rename traareconcile.exe to .old. The bug that cuases this problem is with that executable. The only thing that that file does is delete stuff from the status file. The only ill effect of doing this will be that the status file may, over time, become large.

A fix for this will be in TrackRecord 6.1.1 which will be out this summer.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

zjimenez

We have been able to use TrackRecord across our entire organization.
    We use it for:
    - Defect Tracking (obviously)
    - Feature Requests
    - Support Calls and issue management
    - Internal Help Desk ticket items
    - Client Requests for things like DB changes
    - Client management tool - of sorts
    - We also use an ODBC driver to run Crystal Reports from the TR database for metrics that TR cannot give us on its own.

We have been pleased that it has worked out as much more than a defect tracking tool which is what we originally brought it in to do with hopes of it being much more. TR is easy to customize and robust...we have very few issues that have not been resolved to our satisfaction.

------------------
    Results (performance and financial) are the natural consequence of effective Quality Management.
    Results (performance and financial) are the natural consequence of effective Quality Management.