Thread: Test Track Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test Track Pro

Has anyone had any experience with Test Track Pro from Seapine Software? If so, what do you think of the software? What problems have you encountered, if any.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Test Track Pro

We use Test Track Pro with both web users and win32 users. It does what we want - not everything, of course, but enough. The earlier versions had problems with web users (and we had it hosted on an anemic machine)but we are using the 3.X version now it's okay. We've been using it for about two years for two different products, with around 40 users each, although only 15 to 20 are logged on during peak times.

We especially like the email feature - we've customized it so that it gives a lot of the database information right in the email.

------------------
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have to agree with pjb1, TestTract Pro is a very good starting point for anyone who is looking for a bug tracking system that uses a tried and tested 'standard' bug life cycle and has a few extra very practical bells and whistles as well.

Also their support is first class, not only very professional and friendly but many of the enhancements that I have asked for have been implemented.

One of it's drawbacks is that you cann't completely 'redesign' alot of the fields and so you are commited to using certain worklflows. But for the money, it is still an excellent product.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I used TestTrack for the last couple of years, and since then, it improved it's reliablity a great deal.
    Overall I recommend it.

- Boris

------------------

[This message has been edited by burakov (edited 05-24-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well...
    I suppose that I'm the only one that would not recommand on using it.
    Although it's doing what it's supposed to do, I woul'd recommand on using the Astra FastTrack from Mercury Interactive.
    It will provide you the same functionality but - it has a web interface and it's a huge benefit while implementing bug tracking system.
    The minor and incosiderable benefit is that its free.
    We've been using it and it's doing the job quite well.
    The only bad news are the database - MsAccess! this means a lot ( every couple of hours) of backing ups and regular maintannce work to be done.

------------------
    Nothing is impossible !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yaronm:
    Well...
    I suppose that I'm the only one that would not recommand on using it.
    Although it's doing what it's supposed to do, I woul'd recommand on using the Astra FastTrack from Mercury Interactive.
    It will provide you the same functionality but - it has a web interface and it's a huge benefit while implementing bug tracking system.
    The minor and incosiderable benefit is that its free.
    We've been using it and it's doing the job quite well.
    The only bad news are the database - MsAccess! this means a lot ( every couple of hours) of backing ups and regular maintannce work to be done.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FastTrack is only free for a 7-day evaluation, right?

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

FastTrack is only free for a limited evaluation period, and after it's more then double the price of Test Track (for unlimited Web users).

- Boris

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I just completed an evaluation of this product. I didn't do a lot of hands-on work, but just asked questions about "does it do this or this" (not much self-confirmation, I got most of the information from reading their user manuals and a quick look at the user interface). It did not fair as well as PVCS Tracker or Teamshare's tTrack. I did not look at the cost of the tool since it didn't make it out of the preliminary research.

It appeared to be a decent tool for a small development team with no current defined process. A big minus - it has limited field definitions (can only add 10 custom fields) and there is no control over form design. Another big minus - the work flow is not configurable. Another down side for us -- tech support only available M-F, 9-6 EST (and it is a toll call). We have users all over the country and in Europe...

Some of the neat features is the ability to have reports "emailed" to the system, and a "to do list" for each user that is separate from the problems reported. The web version is a thin client, and you can define the timeout period.

Just my 2 cents worth!

------------------
    Janet C. Kaufman
    ABB Inc.
    ------------------------------
    Please note: the comments made here are attributable only to the author and do not necessarily reflect those of ABB Inc.
    -----------------------------
    Janet C. Kaufman
    ABB Inc.
    ------------------------------
    Please note: the comments made here are attributable only to the author and do not necessarily reflect those of ABB Inc.
    -----------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Janet,

You're of course correct that TestTrack Pro doesn't really support alternate processes, and does limit the manners of customization, etc...

However, I don't think the overall statement, good for a team with no defined process is really fair. Perhaps, as in our case, you have a defined process, and TestTrack fits that process very well.

Just a though.

------------------
    edA-qa mort-ora-y
    QA Manager
    --
    edA-qa@disemia.com
    TestPlan - Superior Web Application Automation & Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've just start using TestTrack Pro now. But before it I've been using TestDirector and PVCS Tracker. I couldn't find a better option than PVCS Tracker.
    With TestTrack Pro, the most annoying thing with me is its limmitation of using fields in its reports. However solo bug system is a nice feature.

Maqbool

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast