Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

defect mgt for projects with common functionality

we have 2 products A and B under the same code repository. the only difference there is that they are deployed in a different way.

keep in mind that some functionality that is there in Product A is not in product B and vice versa. They share some functionality between them.

since they both are under the same c0debase we have to test both the products when there are changes made to either one of them.

MY question is that even though the products are under the same umbrella with respect the to code, with common functionality and some different functionality, for the purpose of defect management would you track them separately or log bugs under just one project?

I personally think that these bugs should be logged under separate projects as both products are not entirely the same but similar meaning they share some common functionality and also product A has some functionality that product B does not have.

But in our shop they say that are now under the same c0debase we just need one project for defect management

let me know your thoughts. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: defect mgt for projects with common functionality

[ QUOTE ]
    MY question is that even though the products are under the same umbrella with respect the to code, with common functionality and some different functionality, for the purpose of defect management would you tracki them separately or log bugs under just one project?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Even I would go with seperate projects. Managing both under one project will have two results for execution of same test case i.e. 1 for project A & 1 for B.
    Regarding bugs - It can be possible that the functionality might work fine in project A & fail in B after integration of the functionality (i.e integration with the code that is not common).
    Best Regards,
    Sanket Vaidya

Om - Effortless Text Generation http://sourceforge.net/p/omfortesting/home/description/