I work at an agency that does a great number of small projects (and a few bigger/more complex ones). As the department matures, we're finding that we need a new tool that will track issues and projects (for a great number of projects), and am having some trouble finding something that fits the bill. Right now we use Mantis, but we're being pushed away from it, and it's not quite right anyway.

It's not unusual for us to test 5+ projects in a day, and they're all for different clients, made by different teams, and have different requirements. So what we need is something that we can log in to, select a project, get caught up quickly on what's been done and what needs to be done (and how), do bug tracking, generate reports, and track what happened and when: see the project specs, requirements, history (previous testing reqs, results, etc), notes, issues, and so on, preferably without having to download all documents (obviously storing some documents for download is good, we just don't want to have to download and open a dozen documents a half-dozen times per day). Ideally missed steps would be made obvious (whether through a "sign-off" mechanism or just missing info - sometimes project managers decide to bypass us or skip steps and simply not tell us).

I would really like something that can generate metrics and reports, and if it could manage test cases and help generate test plans then that would be great too.

One deal-breaker for me is also that you have to be able to edit bug reports; I encountered one bug tracker that would only let you edit for 15 mins after reporting. When this was coupled with an inability to mass assign, an enthusiastic developer jumped on a bug while I was still testing and ended up making things worse. (Mass-assign is definitely preferred, but not a deal-breaker if everything else is right.)

We were looking at Elementool and it seems right, except for the fact that it doesn't look like it's really meant for handling a multitude of projects (unless I'm missing something). I haven't been able to get a hands-on look at Quality Center, but the videos make it look like it has the same problem.

The only caveat is that it has to be hosted; I'm not entirely sure why, but they've made this mandatory.

Obviously we can get somewhat creative with some of the other stuff, such as using documents if the tool will show them in-line rather than requiring us to download them.