Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Bug Tracking using Fault Logger

Hi,

I have been developing an online bug tracking application using ASP.NET and was wondering if I should continue to improve it especially as it is taking up a lot of my spare time.

If anyone gets any spare time could you please have a little look at it and give me any good points and bad points.

I have created it with simplicity in mind and ease of use. In my experience bug tracking tools can become a bit of a pain to use so in the end people do not like using them.

It is called Fault Logger and can be found at http://www.faultlogger.com

If its got promise I will continue to develop it otherwise I may just let it fizzle out.

Thank you in advance.

Julian
    Bug Tracking at its best *** www.faultlogger.com ***

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Bug Tracking using Fault Logger

I checked it out, Julian. It certainly is simple to use.

What is your intent with this tool?

If you are developing it with the intent of commercializing it, you'd certainly need to add quite a lot of features. And in particular, you'd need to do something that would distinguish it from the thousands of other defect trackers available. Right now, I don't see anything here that stands out.

If you are developing it with the intent of just learning and having fun, you are doing well.

Good luck!
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your time and feedback, I really appreciate it.

You say it's short of quite a lot of features. This is intentional as most bug tracking solutions are bloated with features that people can live without. In fact the last thing you want to do when recording and analysing bugs is have lots of data to wade through.

I see it from a developers role and a realistic one at that. I have used quite a few bug tracking applications and most become a little tiresome to use on a daily basis. Keep it simple and people will be more likely to use it properly. As long as you can record the information and allocate it for someone to resolve then to be honest all other features are just bloat, the more bloat you have in software then the more unusable it becomes and the less likely it is to be used in the way it was intended.

The only features I can see that are really needed are:

Reports
    Export to CSV Functionality
    Implement AJAX to make less round trips to server

Regards
    Julian

---------------------
    My Bug Tracking Application *** www.faultlogger.com ***

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Julian,

Again, I don't know your intent with Fault Logger. Open Source? Commercialized? Hosted solution? Self-hosted?

If you are planning to commercialize it, you'll be competing with hundreds of others who have already done so. And as I mentioned, I see nothing in Fault Logger that is compelling, or that differentiates it from many, many others (sorry).

"We have fewer features" is a tough sell in a market with so many competitors.

Have you looked through some of the other products out there? Which do you imagine would be your main competitors? And what do you offer that makes your product better than they are?

We are currently using Bugzilla. It's free. It certainly has more features than Fault Logger, but none that seem to get in the way of our using it effectively. Will Fault Logger give me a reason to switch?

I don't want to discourage you, since such a project can be lots of fun (I've helped develop and test several commercial defect tracking systems). I'm just wondering where you are going with it?

Just a few other features you almost certainly need:
    - Customization. Fault Logger captures very, very few fields (no Severity field!). Almost everyone will want to add more. And most products offer the ability to add, delete, modify, and re-label fields.
    - Admin role. Almost everyone wants to designate an Administrator who can change things, as opposed to Users who cannot.
    - Flow control. Almost everyone wants to decide for themselves the flow of issues through the system, what the valid States of issues are, and what happens at each State.
    - Import? If you want folks to switch defect tracking systems, you'll need to give them a simple way to migrate their existing data.

Good luck!
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thansk Joe,

I did not answer your original question properly, I appologise for that. My intention was originally just for fun but thought that if anyone wanted a copy of the code then I maybe able to charge a small sum for it (self hosted). I can see that this is a pipe dream now. I think I will just plod along adding small usable features to it.

Fault Logger does offer the "Admin" role feature you talked about. Basically the creator of the account is "Admin" by default and they can setup user accounts which are also "Admin" or "Non Admin". This was in my mind a sound secure solution to user account creation. Maybe it could be improved on but I cannot see any problem with the way it currently works.

Also the "Severity" is implied by the use of a "Priority" field. You would not have a "Severity" of low and and "Prioroty" of high so I merged the two together. Maybe I am missing the plot here but it seems to work quite well.

I also don't think it has to offer more to be better than the hundreds of other bug tracking solutions out there. I just think it needs to be:

1) Easy to use
    2) Not bloated with features that hardly anyone uses
    3) Quick and responsive

Again thanks for you comments, I have taken them all in and they are very helpful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regards
    Julian

---------------------
    My Bug Tracking Application *** www.faultlogger.com ***

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Also the "Severity" is implied by the use of a "Priority" field. You would not have a "Severity" of low and and "Prioroty" of high so I merged the two together. Maybe I am missing the plot here but it seems to work quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you. In the past I too, have used just the one field.

But Priority and Severity are totally different concepts. And the vast of testers/QAers/Developers would want and require two distinct fields. (Take it from one who has experienced this from a vendor point of view before)

Good luck!
    Joe Strazzere