Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How does your CM system make life easier?

Hi, folks, me again: your friendly local columnist for Software Test & Performance magazine. I'm looking for input for my next "best practices" (aka "Things I learned the hard way") column, and I hope you can help me.

What are your favorite metrics for measuring code quality from your CM system? That is, what do you look for in the reports your SCM system generates, and how do you use that information to do a better job?

Are the reports included with your package enough? Or do you find that you create custom views of the data to get a unique twist on what you're doing? If so, what are you most apt to look for... and why?

I need to hand in the article by the middle of the month, so it'd be great if you could reply to me (privately if necessary) by January 12th... ideally with some way to identify you in the article (name, company, title, geography).

Esther Schindler
    contributing editor, Software Test & Performance magazine (stpmag.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How does your CM system make life easier?

First of all, it depends on what do you mean by SCM “system” and what do you mean by reports. Secondly, I believe CM makes life easier for dev. team more than QA team. I will tell only QA stories. I will list some “best practices” on items that I believe accord to CM, please let me know which of them are you looking for:
    0) Build created in dedicated environment (separate host) with correct environment. When we did not had environment dedicated for builds we often had issues with incompatible or missing dll in test environment.
    1) Build creation by build master as a QA (not dev.) person. The story is simple, when we had dev. person doing builds, they did it with “dirty hands” and we had a lot of defects that are send for retesting, while was not actually integrated into the build.
    2) Automated build number inserting into code (do you see it in dll versions, application help-about, etc.). This allowed us to understand if issue of not0-integrated defect is due to wrong installation of due to wrong integration (build process).
    3) We have defect tracking system integrated with CVS and any CVS change is mandatory linked to some defect. This way tester see what source files was updated and know where to look for regression.
    ?:the art of a constructive conflict perceived as a destructive diagnose.
    Ainars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why do you think the CM system makes life easier for the developers than for QA? Why is it better to have QA set up the system?

[leaning forward, listening with great interest]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

OK, it's dev. management (any level - from team leads to PM) not developer himself who love the system because it enables them to find the "guilty" person. However for developers it is a convenient way to integrate with each other code (and 3rd party code as well).
    When there is only one developer who is writing whole application, there is no sense in CM. For example, in my team single person is currently writing automated tests. She is using CVS only as a back-up/common storage – nothing is managed actually.
    Also I don't say QA should set up system. QA should run it once it is set up by dev. Developers create all the scripts necessary for the system.

Esther, you didn't answer if you are looking specifically for change management (CVS, builds) or wider topic – managing environments, 3rd party code (and it’s updates), communicating configuration changes with management, etc. To be true I don’t quite like and understand the terms as they are used and misused differently through companies.
    Ainars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I didn't answer because I'm not sure. <chuckle> My assigned topic was "Change Management." I did argue for interpreting that as "how I can change my Management and get rid of my idiot boss" but my editors wouldn't let me.

So you can interpret CM anyway you like!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I like your interpretation [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Well if your topic is Change not Configuration management, then everything I've wrote apply. You should have my identification since your previous topic.
    OK, I’ll add one more story. We got recently from our developers two things: first a tool that gather information of directory content (files) including file versions, second – we got the same list as report from build process. Now we could verify that installation install exactly what it should install and update all the older file versions if upgrade option is used. Otherwise we required performing a lot of functional testing for both clear installation and upgrade in order to verify installation process.
    Ainars