Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

configuration management and quality assurance

Who is using configuration management processes and tools to really improve the quality of the software? For example:
    - Using static analysis before code is accepted before build.
    - Using promotion model to distinguish untested from tested products.
    - Using CR/PR management to track changes on released products.
    - Deliver releases to users / customers with complete release notes and baselined in the system.
    - etc.
    Any remarks welcome.

Regards, Hans.
    CM: Eghy perent is nt engh or
    CM: Eighty percent is not enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: configuration management and quality assurance

Who is using...? :-)
    The answer would be; not enough people, or every quality minded development organization.. *lol*

I'm not sure what you are looking for, really, but I'd be happy to give you some comments all the same. If there any specific questions you think about, let me know. :-)

All your suggestions are important, but not nescessary for all development situations.
    But when realized to the fullest, your list of configuration management disciplines would serve you good in quality assurance.
    We could probably add to the list if we wanted...

I would, though, recommend to analyze each and every development porject to determine which components of a flexible CM-system that is really nescessary.
    Complexity is the key...

I would always recommend to track changes, both development issues and fault resolutions.
    I would also suggest that a Change Request is a collective term for both fault resolution and enhancements of a given (or non-existent first) release of a system. But that's just me... ;-)

Second, promotion levels can be implemented in several ways, but are always important.
    It must not, however, be anything more, or less, than identification of traceable system configurations, later used for historical labeling or for release promotions after completed verification and validation.

Third, a well-documented release management process is always a good thing, if you want to be able to answer your customer regarind any trouble detected in any given release.
    What you do not want, is to have to say - I don't know if your problem can be fixed, because I cannot recreate the configuration that you are using. But buy my upgrade and we'll see if the problem still exist... ;-)

Statistics analysis, on the other hand, is seldom nescessary to "get the job done" in any single development project.
    But it is an important tool for quality control.
    Best regards,

/Thomas Karlkvist

...här skiner solen...