Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

ODT filter dialog has problem with case?

I am evaluating the ODT feature. I set up a simple example where I have 1 class (clsLogin) and two test cases which are in the Data part of ODT. They are both instances of clsLogin, and their parent is an array, per the example given in Test Complete samples directory.

Item0 (ie testcase1) has username=test and password=foo

Item1 (ie testcase2) has username=test and password=Foo

When I look at the data filter dialog for the password property, it only shows 2 entries: a blank entry, and foo.

So what happened to Foo?

As an aside, is there a way to stop the generation of the blank entries?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: ODT filter dialog has problem with case?

Hi cupcakeboy,

Currently, the dialog is case-insensitive - "Foo" equals "foo" for it, so it does not show the second value.
    We will consider improving this functionality.

As for blank entries: the list of values contains all values specified in data objects and in the class itself. It looks like the property has an empty value in your class. As a result, this blank entry gets added to the list as well.
    Best regards,
    David - SmartBear Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi David. Thanks for your reply. It is rather disappointing. Varying the case of a text input to a control is an extremely common test case. In fact, it's exactly the sort of thing that ODT is there for.

This limitation means that I cannot use ODT at all. I cannot have some inputs tested with ODT and other inputs tested outside ODT, that's just to confusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

While your filter may be showing both "foo" and "Foo" as the same thing, how does it execute in code? The key to the usability of ODT in actual tests is not how your debugging tool reads the information but as to whether or not it data enters to the text field as "foo" or "Foo".

So... ODT MAY still work for you. As David mentioned, the problem is in the on screen filter, not necessarily in the code execution.
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I gave up on ODT some time ago, but I belive that when the code was executed, only one value was used. The other value was ignored.

Even if the code used both values, the problem with not seeing both of them in the filter dialog is enough to raise a warning flag for me that maybe the ODT feature is a bit shakey or hasn't been properly tested for usabiliy by AQA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello cupcakeboy,

Robert is right - the Filter dialog issue does not affect the test execution in any way. Property values are stored in a case-sensitive way.

But, of course, it is up to you to decide whether you want to use this functionality or not.
    Regards,
    Alex - SmartBear Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Alex thanks. And Robert thanks too! I guess I was mistaken the actual code execution, sorry about that, perhaps it was the blank value that threw me (though of course null is a good test case as well). I'm still going to wait until the filter dialog is fixed to handle case values properly before taking a second look at ODT.