Test Complete - Can i do some thing similar to QTP
My advanced thanks for the response.
We have been using QTP as automation tool. We are evaluvating Test Complete as a alternative tool.
QTP - Login Page has 3 elements like Username, password and Login button. After adding the elements into object repository, we used to access the object and do the automation like below.
I tried the same thing in Test Complete. It doesn't work for me. Do i need to add just the object or do i need to add all objects from hierarchy from Process("IEXPLORE").Window("IEFrame", "*").Window("Shell DocObject View").Window("Internet Explorer_Server") to Store?
1. Will the editor supports accessing properties by typing "."?
2. Do we have the concept of "reusable action"?
3. Can we store username and password in some thing similar to Data table?
Do we have any specific framework to be followed in Test Complete?
Re: Test Complete - Can i do some thing similar to QTP
The Stores in test complete don't store references to the object but they are stored as XML files containing a snapshot of the properties of the object. So, to manipulate objects, you reference the object directly
Process("IEXPLORE").Window("IEFrame", "*").Window("Shell DocObject View").Window("Internet Explorer_Server").Page.document.all.Item.Text := "user name" or some such thing. YOu can use name mapping and/or variables within your script code to shorten the length of this string to make things easier to ready.
As for your specific questions:
1) Yes. Objects in the application under test can have their properties accessed using the standard object notation of using a period.
2) I'm not sure what you mean by "reusable action". That's a term that must be a QTP term. COuld you explain it?
3) TestComplete supports Data Driven testing, either using the built in DDT objects or by creating your own connections to data tables and such.