Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

scripting language

From the automatedqa website on Test Complete:
    [ QUOTE ]

The design philosophy behind TestComplete is to never inhibit or restrict a development team or a QA team. One illustration of this is that with TestComplete you never have to use a proprietary scripting language to code test cases. TestComplete is the only tool of its kind with built-in support for multiple scripting languages: VBScript, JScript, C++Script, C#Script and DelphiScript.

[/ QUOTE ]
    1. First, is this statement true?

2. If true, do have to select a lang per test, or can different test components be written in different script langs?

-Thanks, Terry Horwath

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: scripting language

1) As for the truth of the statement I can say this much. None of the scripting languages are proprietary to TestComplete. The only MARGINAL exception is DelphiScript in that you typically wouldn't find a "script" version of Delphi on the general market. As for not restricting a QA team, in my years of working with Automated QA Corp and TestComplete in it's various versions, where a limitation has come up in the scripting application, effort is made as much as possible to find creative ways around that limitation.

2) Each project needs to be written in a particular language. So, depending upon your expertise, you can write the same project in multiple languages but you cannot mix languages within a project. Now, when you get into writing connected applications, then the rules bend a bit. If the connected application is written in multiple languages for different components, then the scripts inside those connected applications could also be written in multiple langauges.
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Robert for this non-vendor affirmation--not that a vendor would ever stretch the truth... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

I am also happy to find that the vendor provides a good overview document on the tool with decent screen shots. (The videos and commentary therein are also OK, but to learn a tool I need a manual for the first week or two).

It is still not clear what level of control I have over object definition and recognition, but I think I will be able to figure that out if I choose to download and use the evaulation version.

-Thanks Again, Terry Horwath

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Feel free to post whatever questions you want here. I've been working with their app for 6 years now and have managed to figure out a bunch of unique tricks. And there are plenty of others here, including AQA staff, who are more than happy to help out.

There should be with the application a "Getting Started with TestComplete" document. Might want to search around the installation directories for it, but it should be there somewhere. CHeck under the "Help" subfolder (that's where mine got installed).
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The getting started document is actually available on their website, which is nice:

http://www.automatedqa.com/downloads...stComplete.pdf

Its like 140 pages, so I assume its the full version. Anyway I am starting to prowl through it. I have found I like to get as much "pre" evaluation information as possible, so as to maximize my evaluation timeout.

But thanks for your offer to answer questions. I prefer though to keep the newbie "how do I..." to those questions I can't tease out of the docs, the online help and a search of the forum (I moderate the QTP forum and find the lack of these steps prior to posting a question, soooo annoying...).

It is also a pleasant surprise to see so many of the vendor's support folks participating in this forum. HP should sit up and take notice.

-Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The AQA guys provide some pretty solid support here all right, I've had some very useful dig outs over the last year.

With regard to the object indentification stuff, a couple of suggestions;

- Play around with the object browser. This is basically a tree view that gives you a hierarchy of all the processes and objects currently visible to TC. Clocking on a node gives the methods and properties of that object, using the naming convention you would use in a script.

- Using the recorder is a good lazy way of finding the name of an object / action. Where you have more than one similar control hosted in the same window, they are enumerated using indices where they would otherwise be ambiguous, and these indices seem to follow tab order. Personally, I give all controls unique names where possible to minimise the risk of future ambiguity and broken scripts.

- Compiling the app as open will provide a more in-depth obect hierarchy, for cases where objects aren't recognised. Check out 'open applications' in the online help. I don't use this myself but have heard good things.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Shane--you are touching on some of the object rec issues I consider critical in a good tool. I spotted the Object Browser in the getting-started doc and plan to review that section carefully.

From you comments when TC does not "on its own" recognise a page/window control, there are "things I can do" to get it to either sort-of or clearly recognize a "custom control"?

Also, QTP has the notion of a non-technical user view (forget what they call, so you tell I don't use it) and an Expert View. Does TC have this concept as well?

-Thanks Again, Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    From you comments when TC does not "on its own" recognise a page/window control, there are "things I can do" to get it to either sort-of or clearly recognize a "custom control"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on the lengths that you want to go to, Terry. Compiling as an open application is supposed to resolve many of these issues but having control over development as well as testing here I took i slightly more circuitous route. Basically, at least half of my application deals with interactive vector graphics, which can be thought of as a large very complex custom control. The technique that I went for was to add a programmatic interface for the graphics, and as tests are recorded log all user actions to a text file in terms of that programmatic interface. I then have a utility that merges the TC generated script file with the log file in such a way that the recorded script references the programmatic interface through my framework. It took a while to get working, but I am now in a situation that I can get a non-expert tester to record scripts that are robust and coded in terms of my framework and application logic, rather than in terms of the Windows object hierarchy.

Probably the easiest way of working with custom controls is to encapsulate access to them through a framework script / module and drive them internally within this script through the keyboard. So for example, in the GUI toolkit that I user, menu bars aren't recognised, so I have the following in my framework;

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    procedure CallMenu(MenuShortcut : String; MenuItem : String);
    var
    p, w: OleVariant;
    begin
    p := Sys.Process(g_MainApp);
    w := p.Window(g_FrameClass, 'SCC*');
    w.Activate;
    Sys.Keys(MenuShortcut);
    w.PopupMenu.Click(MenuItem);
    end;
    </pre><hr /><font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    Procedure FileMenu(MenuItem : String);
    Begin
    CallMenu('~f',MenuItem);
    End;

then elsewhere in my test scripts and framework, I have the following type of thing;

FileMenu('Save As...');

</pre><hr />

My routines for merging in the application log file also search and replace for much of the above.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, QTP has the notion of a non-technical user view (forget what they call, so you tell I don't use it) and an Expert View. Does TC have this concept as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't come across it, but I have not yet had a requirement to upgrade from TC4 so it could well be there in a newer version.