Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

get value from OCX-Controls

Hi,
    In our software we use some OCX controls from softel. Testcomplete is able to find and enter some values into the fields, but If i want to check if the value is correct entered, i not able to get the value.

for normal Editbox i get the property "wText" but for OCX Edit Boxes I get no property.

Has anybody experience with TC 5 and OCX control's?
    Can I get the entered values?

Thx for help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: get value from OCX-Controls

Hello Leutek,

The wText property is provided by the Win32Edit scripting object. If the text box used in your application is compatible with a standard Win32 edit control, you can associate it with the Win32Edit object. To do this, please follow the steps below:

- Double-click your project in the "Project Explorer" panel to open the project editor panel.
    - Open the Properties page by clicking the "Properties" button at the bottom of the project editor panel.
    - Select the "Object Mapping" option group.
    - Select the "Edit box" item in the control list.
    - Click the "Add Class Name" button and add the class name (the WndClass property value) of the text box to the list.

Please let me know whether this helps.
    Regards,
    Alex - SmartBear Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Alex
    thx for the good hint.
    it works, but still not for all object types, it is tricky to find out which OCX-Object type belongs to which Win32 object.

perhaps I need later some more clarification.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello Leutek,

When you perform actions with a control, the operating system sends Windows messages to the control window. TestComplete catches these messages when recording a script. Standard Win32 controls react on specific messages and, to simplify working with these controls, TestComplete provides special scripting objects that can be associated with the controls. Methods of these scripting objects are used to send specific messages to the controls. If a control is not compatible with a standard Win32 control, it may not properly respond to messages sent by TestComplete and, as result, methods and properties provided by the scripting object associated with the control do not work. Please see the "Working With Win32 Controls" help topic for more information.

Unfortunately, there is no universal rule to determine whether a control is compatible with a standard Win32 control. The only way is to associate the control with a TestComplete scripting object and check if methods and properties provided by the object work.
    Regards,
    Alex - SmartBear Support