Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Setting/Resetting Script Speed

Sometimes when my script enters text it enters it so fast that it skips letters, etc.

Does anyone have a VB Script example where at the beginning of the script I could set the speed to run slowly then at a certain point reset the speed to its normal running state?

I'm out of ideas and not sure how to go about it. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Setting/Resetting Script Speed

You might consider using the .wText item rather than the Keys method. This will fill in the data internally, faster and more secure than the Keys method.

Basically, the recorded Keys call would get slightly changed, as in the example below:

w1.Window("Edit", "", 1).Keys("123456789[Tab]");

to

w1.Window("Edit", "", 1).wText = "123456789";

notice that you will no longer need the Tab key to get through each of the fields.

I hope this helps,
    Aaron Fager
    Software Test Engineer

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

That's a weird thing! usually the script will input the string provided in the script. I don't know how it can skip a letter. Maybe there's some kind of process running in the background that kind of "lock" keyboard stroke. It can happen on web testing when the page loads images or some script executions occur while the page is loading. Maybe you could wait until you see the word "Done" on the browser's status bar at the bottom left of the window.

Can't really think of anything else at this point.

Good luck!
    Thanks,
    ~Dom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

GregV,

While Aaron's answer is IMO the way to go for all data entry scripts, if you wish to remain with keyed entry, you can slow you script down by going into the 'Run' section of the 'Engine Options' and changing the 'Delay between events' to a larger value. 100ms should probably do the trick. This is not a great long term solution as you are unnecessarily slowing down your script execution. The Keys function is also prone to failing if you have different caps lock or num lock settings selected when you record and play back,

Best regards,

Shane

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Greg,

I guess you have TestComplete version 3. If this is the case, then we are aware of the issue you faced. It was solved in TestComplete 4.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change the speed of typing in TestComplete 3. I recommend that you use the workaround suggested by Aaron.
    Best regards,
    David - SmartBear Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for all the replies! I haven't been able to get the "w.Text" to work yet but the "Engine Options" is doing the trick! Thanks to everyone for all the help!