Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Working with Javascript (newbie)

Hello.

I am trying to convince my company to purchase TestComplete, and have been charged with the responsibility of scripting (I am the sole member of the Software Testing dept.!).

I have a good grasp of Flash Actionscript, so I have opted to code in JavaScript as it is reportedly very similar.

I have started with recording to familiarize myself with the format & layout, and am getting better at reading the hierarchy & finding objects.

I can't, however, recognize the grid or it's contents as objects.

The grid is a contacts list with names, numbers, etc (and part of a compiled Delphi program), which leads to an edit dialog when double clicked. This is- in essence- what I would like TC to do for me.

At the moment I can only dictate the x & y coordinates to be pressed (which is prone to error)

I appreciate I am new, but I have been steadily working through the tutorials and have searched these forums for answers.

Is there a specific javascript API I need to learn for TC? I can't find methods like Click or Exists in the JS Object Table.

I greatly appreciate any & all help.

Regards,
    Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Working with Javascript (newbie)

The first issue that stands out is that the object browser is not recognizing your Delphi program. When you view the program in the Object Browser, does it have the yellow scales on the right side? That represents an "open" project, and will allow you to reference objects instead of just coordinates.

Once TC can view your product as open, you will have access to much more of your product.

Also, is the grid from a third party tool? That might not be in the set of grids supported by TC.

That would be the two areas I would look at first.

Good Luck!
    Aaron Fager
    Software Test Engineer

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

No- the scales are not there. I can't understand why.

I have gone through the same set-up with the 'orders.exe' example.

With the example I get the scales icon, but not with our program.

Thanks for your response CC, can anyone advise me further?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

based on your response, your developers will need to do a couple of things to the product to get it compiled as Open.

Please see the details in the TC4 help, under "Open Applications", and under that "Adding public information to Delphi and C++Builder Open Applications"

I hope this helps,
    Aaron Fager
    Software Test Engineer

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you again CC.

It turns out that the grid is indeed created in an different tool. Excellent spot.

This is a real shame- I feel TC is a magnificent product with real power and at a great price. The support is also excellent.

Unless the load testing support is especially good I may not push for our company to invest in it [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Sean,

I would like to note that information on how it is possible to work with grids from TestComplete can be found in the 'Working With Grids' help topic. You may find there links to sample projects demonstrating working with different grids.
    Eric Holton
    Microsoft Corp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you eholton. I had noted those.

Unfortunately I am a not-so great programmer working in a small window. I simply do not have enough time or low-end access to the system's development.

Great product though- and great people in this forum. Thanks one and all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am pleased to announce that our company will be investing in TestComplete.

The company CEO has decided it will investigate possible fixes at a soft dev level.

I must thank you all again for your help.

Regards!