Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thinking about purchaching TestComplete

We are a small company. We have 9 developers and right now I am the only formal tester and I was just hired. We do not have any formalized testing processes - I am working on those. Specification documentation is very limited. We are developing a new product which is in the early stages. We are developing in .net, using object oriented methodology.

We have had problems in the past reintroducing old bugs when fixing current bugs, so regression testing is a must.

I was looking at TestComplete and it appears that there is minimal coding inside the program that is needed. I know that there will be a large about of time creating the scripts.

I was hoping there might be a few folks who might be able to set my expectations if we pursue this route.

Thanks!
    Jennifer Watters

Sorry posted in incorrect forum

[ 06-14-2005, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: jwatters ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Thinking about purchaching TestComplete

Jennifer,

I have never used TestComplete before, but have experience with other tools, including evaluating and purchasing new automated testing tools.

TestComplete seems like a good tool. However, good in general doesn't always translate to good for your environment. Make sure to do a proof of concept before comitting to a purchase. And make sure it works with all of your components, not just some of them -- I've seen sad QA managers when they purchased tool A expecting it to work with programming language X and forgetting that they were using widget T for their GUI, that tool A couldn't work with.

Also, it is rare that a non-programmatic tool will work well as you will usually find yourself wanting to modify the scripts to meet your testing needs. Make sure that you can script in TestComplete and that you have at least one person there that can do the scripting.

Also, remember that the strength of a testing tool is in the ability to run tests over and over quickly. They tend to take a while to set up. Read as much as you can about choosing the right tests to automate for your regression suite to ensure the success of your automation effort.

I hope this helps. Good luck in choosing the tool and with your projects.

Paul Go

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

Aside for Paul's good advice about testing the tools extensively, in our case, We chose TestComplete because of it's excellent value for the price.

You might want to read a previous post : Strong/Weak points TestComplete

Regards
    Simon Glet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We faced a similar situation just a few months back. So this is what we did,

We downloaded the trial version of the tool (one-month time),
    -> Since we were just doing basic testing we hardly ever reached the limit of two units and 500 lines.
    When we scripted and found that the process could be useful and showed the higher hierarchy its usefulness to get the budget approved for it (initially we were asked to look into open-source tools, because of the notion that any good GUI tool would cost a hefty amount of money), we went ahead and brought licenses after being convinced of the two-month money back guarantee.

And with the three months that we had, we had tests running for most of the functionality all the time.

We integrated it with CruiseControl, an open-source project, so that every time someone did a check in to the version control system, all the regression tests would be run and we would get emails.

Hope this helps.