Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Name mapping of process, heritage possible?

I have 5 years experience with WinRunner, but as WR doesn't support .NET applications we are currently evaluating other testing tools.

I've found the Name Mapping Extension to be somehow similar to the GUI Map in WinRunner.

As TestComplete recorded the first lines of each script like this:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Set p = Sys.Process(&quot;MyProcess&quot
    Set w = p.MyForm</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I tried to add 2 items into the Name Map:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">myMappedProcess : Sys.Process(&quot;MyProcess&quot
    myMappedForm : myMappedProcess.MyForm</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">But when recording TestComplete recorded these statements:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Set p = Sys.myMappedProcess
    Set w = p.MyForm</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">My questions are:
    1. Why is the process being recorded as Sys.myMappedProcess - this would be Sys.Sys.Process("MyProcess") ?

2. Is it possible to use mapped names for defining Unmapped Full Names in the Name Mapping Extension (like I tried to do in MyMappedForm)? Like a sort of heritage...

3. If I create a new build in the Name Mapping Extension, is it possible to copy mappings of a former build into a new build? I guess it would be a lot of effort to recreate all mappings for each build...

Thanks for your help!
    Regards,
    Juergen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Name mapping of process, heritage possible?

Hi bru,

myMappedProcess : Sys.Process("MyProcess")
    myMappedForm : myMappedProcess.MyForm
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">The Name Mapping feature only allows to replace the last part of the full object's name. Therefore, you should use the following settings for the two items above :

myMappedProcess : Sys.Process("MyProcess")
    myMappedForm : Sys.Process("MyProcess").MyForm

You will be able to use the mapped objects in script as follows:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Sys.myMappedProcess
    Sys.myMappedProcess.myMappedForm</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">
    Why is the process being recorded as Sys.myMappedProcess - this would be Sys.Sys.Process("MyProcess") ?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">When you use the Name Mapping feature TestComplete uses the mapped object names when recording a script.

2. Is it possible to use mapped names for defining Unmapped Full Names in the Name Mapping Extension (like I tried to do in MyMappedForm)?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">No, it is not possible to do this.

is it possible to copy mappings of a former build into a new build?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Unfortunately, there is no ability of this type in TestComplete. The only way to copy items from one build to another is to edit the NameMapping.ini file manually.
    Regards,
    Bobby Edgar
    Olagoo.com
    Save on AutomatedQA Products