Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Detecting Accelerator Keys in Menus

Is there any way to tell what the Accelerator key (the underlined letter) is for a menu item?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Detecting Accelerator Keys in Menus

Yes there is.

Use MSAA for * then
    ...I'm getting my chequebook out now...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

Yes, this is possible: you can read the caption of a menu item and find the position where the ampersand ('&') is in the caption. The next symbol is the one you need.

------------------
    Regards,
    Bobby Edgar
    AutomatedQA
    Regards,
    Bobby Edgar
    Olagoo.com
    Save on AutomatedQA Products

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is it just me? - I'm not seeing the ampersand at all - going via .MainMenu.Items[0].Caption - I'm using XP Pro with menu underlining switched on.

One thing I noticed about the MSAA option is that AChild properties are not recognised at run-time unless they have been expanded previously in the Object Browser. Is there a way around this?

This seems to be much harder than it ought to be, am I missing something obvious?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

>>
    Is it just me? - I'm not seeing the ampersand at all - going via .MainMenu.Items[0].Caption - I'm using XP Pro with menu underlining switched on.
    <<
    This is possible for Open Applications, sorry for not pointing this out. For example, the instruction below will return a string containing an ampersand (Form1 is an object of a Delphi Open Application):
    Form1.MainMenu1.MenuItem.Items[0].Caption

It is not possible for black box applications: TestComplete ignores ampersand in order to simplify the users scripts. Could you please tell me why you need this ability?

>>
    One thing I noticed about the MSAA option is that AChild properties are not recognised at run-time unless they have been expanded previously in the Object Browser. Is there a way around this?
    <<
    The behavior you described is incorrect. Could you give us more details so that we can reproduce it?

------------------
    Regards,
    Bobby Edgar
    AutomatedQA
    Regards,
    Bobby Edgar
    Olagoo.com
    Save on AutomatedQA Products

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm trying to write a test to make sure each menu item that needs one has a shortcut key.

With the MSAA thing, an example is the application has a File menu. MSAA reports the File menu keyboard shortcut as
    w.mb_Application.AChild[0].KeyboardShortcut
    This always works and I can freely change the AChild index for each top-level menu.

The problem occurs when I try to access menu items. The keyboard shortcut for the New item in the File menu is reported by MSAA as
    w.mb_Application.AChild[0].AChild[0].AChild[0].KeyboardShortcut.
    This only works if I have manually drilled down through the AChild IDispatch interfaces in the Object Browser. If I close the TestComplete session and reopen it, the test will not run, erroring with Unknown name Achild and Unknown name KeyboardShortcut.

I'm probably using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but I'm intrigued now - how do I activate the IDispatch interfaces at run-time?

------------------

[This message has been edited by bughunta (edited 04-08-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

OK, I've worked it out now.

If I replace the Achild property in the above script with the Child method, it works fine.

------------------

[This message has been edited by bughunta (edited 04-08-2003).]