Thread: JS Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

JS Newbie

We've been using QTP for several years. Too expensive, evaluating the change to TC. So far, some of the test architecture is going well, others not so much. Anyway, decided to use JS instead of VB because of the try/catch. That's not my question. I want to see if an application (Java) has launched. So I have something like this:

var appLaunched= Sys.Process("javaw").SwingObject("ClinicGUI", "Client Health Clinic", 0).Exists;
    Log.Message(appLaunched);

No worries, this workd fine. However, I want to capture that object in a vairable, so I can use it all over the place and I haven't figured out just how to do that. I've searched, but I can't find the answer.

For example, in VB script, I could do something like this:

Set myApp = Sys.Process("javaw").SwingObject("ClinicGUI", "Client Health Clinic", 0)

Then I can use myApp.Exist, myApp.Displayed, etc. In JS, this does NOT work:

var myApp = Sys.Process("javaw").SwingObject("ClinicGUI", "Client Health Clinic", 0);
    var appLaunched = myApp.Exists;
    Log.Message(appLaunched);

I can't figure out the syntax to make it an object instead of a string. Probably something novice......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: JS Newbie

Never mind, I'm an idiot. I got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm not sure what your problem is. Are you getting an error message? If so, which line is the error occurring on? What is the text of the error?

A couple of notes, though. If you're code is to check to see if an object exists, your best bet is not to use SwingObject but WaitSwingObject. The reason being is that if you use the code you suggested and the object does not exist, you will get an error indicating that "Exists is not a valid property or method" or some such thing, most likely an error, even in the assign statement to try and assign the object to myApp. I'd suggest the following minor code change.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>var myApp = Sys.Process("javaw").WaitSwingObject("ClinicGUI", "Client Health Clinic", 10000);
    var appLaunched = myApp.Exists;
    Log.Message(aqConvert.VarToStr(appLaunched));</pre><hr />

Let me know if this works and, if not, what errors you get in the process.
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Robert, I figured it out, but your code is far more elegant. Works great. This transition from QTP to TC is going to be a bear. No pun intended.